Thread: Converting an 11x14 Kodak 2D to use Sinar Lensboards?

Converting an 11x14 Kodak 2D to use Sinar Lensboards?

Has anyone tried converting an 11x14 Kodak 2D to use Sinar lensboards? I've standardized on 80mm Horseman and 140mm Horseman/Sinar lensboards, as they'll work on my 4x5 cameras, as well as my Deardorff V8 (via an adapter).

The 11x14 Kodak 2D I have uses 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" lensboards. It came with an adapter screwed in that allowed it to use 4x4" lensboards, which worked when my only 11x14 lens was a Nikkor 360mm. I've removed that, as I now have a 200mm Grandagon. Ideally I'd like to be able to use the lenses on both my Deardorff V8 and 11x14 Kodak 2d, without changing the lensboard.

Also, does anyone know if the lensboard is the same size as that of an 8" x 10" Kodak Eastman No. 1 lensboard? In searching eBay for lenboards, it appears that they are the same. Considering what a monster the 200mm Grandagon is (and it's nearly 6 pounds), I'm not totally convinced an adapter is the wisest choice.

Re: Converting an 11x14 Kodak 2D to use Sinar Lensboards?

Quote Originally Posted by healyzh View Post
    Has anyone tried converting an 11x14 Kodak 2D to use Sinar lensboards? I've standardized on 80mm Horseman and 140mm Horseman/Sinar lensboards, as they'll work on my 4x5 cameras, as well as my Deardorff V8 (via an adapter).

The 11x14 Kodak 2D I have uses 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" lensboards. It came with an adapter screwed in that allowed it to use 4x4" lensboards, which worked when my only 11x14 lens was a Nikkor 360mm. I've removed that, as I now have a 200mm Grandagon. Ideally I'd like to be able to use the lenses on both my Deardorff V8 and 11x14 Kodak 2d, without changing the lensboard.

Also, does anyone know if the lensboard is the same size as that of an 8" x 10" Kodak Eastman No. 1 lensboard? In searching eBay for lenboards, it appears that they are the same. Considering what a monster the 200mm Grandagon is (and it's nearly 6 pounds), I'm not totally convinced an adapter is the wisest choice.
    You can simply bolt a sinar receptacle (canibalized from a front standard) to a 2D lens board.

I made an adapter to place sinar boards in cambo, 3D printed in abs, as I have norma and sc, it works perfect.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SP32-20180310-195337.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	175741

I you want you can PM me with the exact dimensions of the 2D receptacle and I'd give you an *.STL file that it can be printed around.

Regards

Thanks for the offer, that's pretty cool, and really highlights what is becoming possible with 3D printers.

After giving it a lot of thought, I realized that at this point I really don't want to use the lenses on both cameras. The 305mm G-Claron on my 8x10 is far more portable, and I'd like to focus ease of portability with the 8x10. The other factor is I'm concerned about adding to the number of stress points that the lens will be pulling against.

Quote Originally Posted by healyzh View Post
    The other factor is I'm concerned about adding to the number of stress points that the lens will be pulling against.
    The 1114 and the 45 are very different formats, not rare that you want different glass, but let me say that in case of necessity a 3D printed lens board adapter may work perfect with no drawback, even it can be designed to work closer with short focals.

What it's true is that 3D printed parts can be weak, so the design has to be good enough. Anyway today there are popular tools to make very good 3D parts. Rather than printing the part itself we can print a mold of the part, at later we can fill it with an extremly resistant technical resin with catalyzer, that may include a mix of cut fiberglass, or even we can place metal or carbon platings/rods inside the mold, so a DIY 3D part can easily be made of very high performance, and easily.

We can also make common 3D printed parts, but the 3D printing has to be good, using ABS for example, and the right nozzle temperature to ensure filaments are well welded, and always we have to stress the apart to reasonable limits to be sure about it.

What I try to say is that a 3D printed lensboard adapter can be a perfect/easy solution, strong and well aligned, but this depends on design and on printing. I'm realy happy the one I made, it allows me to use all lesens in both an sc 810 and in a norma 45...

I'm not really concerned that it's 3D printed, I'm concerned about any adapter with this lens. In fact I have other concerns besides this. I still have to get a lensboard, but I'm pretty sure the front rise/fall will need braced, as it lacks a way to lock it in place, and I'm likely to make some sort of brace for the front of the lens to reduce the stress.