Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Print Dev. Dilution Limits/Time Adjustments?

Re: Print Dev. Dilution Limits/Time Adjustments?

PS…at this point, one might ask why I don’t simply go with multiple large trays - and greater volumes of chemistry?

My darkroom measures 8 x 17 feet. The interior of my sink measures 34.5 inches by 16 feet…large enough to comfortably accommodate five 24x34 inch trays (dev/stop/fix/fix/water) for 20x30 prints. Two gallons works perfectly, no presoak, perfect results. While this sink could fit trays large enough for 30x40’s, I’d need to limit their number to four, which means I’d need to eliminate a fixing bath and use a single tray of something like TF-5. Furthermore…the logistics of pouring out, cleaning, and storing four additional, (and really big) trays are a bit daunting. And while my backdraft ventilation system is very effective, I’d still like to avoid the prospect of having such large open trays exposed for hours at a time. On the other hand…my clear plastic chemical holding tanks have covers, helping to minimize off-gassing/oxidation. Overall, the logistics of this single tray system are a perfect fit with my darkroom…which is why I am so adamant about making it work. But if this ultimately does not work, I’ll build a single trough and try that. If that does not work…I’ll up my dose of bourbon and call it a day!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    PS…at this point, one might ask why I don’t simply go with multiple large trays - and greater volumes of chemistry?

My darkroom measures 8 x 17 feet. The interior of my sink measures 34.5 inches by 16 feet…large enough to comfortably accommodate five 24x34 inch trays (dev/stop/fix/fix/water) for 20x30 prints. Two gallons works perfectly, no presoak, perfect results. While this sink could fit trays large enough for 30x40’s, I’d need to limit their number to four, which means I’d need to eliminate a fixing bath and use a single tray of something like TF-5. Furthermore…the logistics of pouring out, cleaning, and storing four additional, (and really big) trays are a bit daunting. And while my backdraft ventilation system is very effective, I’d still like to avoid the prospect of having such large open trays exposed for hours at a time. On the other hand…my clear plastic chemical holding tanks have covers, helping to minimize off-gassing/oxidation. Overall, the logistics of this single tray system are a perfect fit with my darkroom…which is why I am so adamant about making it work. But if this ultimately does not work, I’ll build a single trough and try that. If that does not work…I’ll up my dose of bourbon and call it a day!
    How about a hybrid workflow? Large tray for developer and then one other tray for stop and fixes, etc.? If that fixes your developing unevenness, it'd be worth it.

Doremus

Doremus…I’ve thought about this, and indeed I may end up trying this (hybrid approach) if I cannot get my current system to work.

But a couple of points…to the extent that I’m trying to minimize print handling, a single tray makes sense. Also, the single tray goes through all processing cycles…from developer through the final wash - and so comes out perfectly clean and “chemically neutral” afterwards, allowing me to simply squeegee out any excess water prior to under-the-sink storage. But I would acknowledge...that while I'm obviously trying to maximize my convenience here (not giving up yet!) - it must be
    the results which ultimately guide the evolution of this setup.