Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Schneider Xenotar 2.8/150mm rebuilding

Schneider Xenotar 2.8/150mm rebuilding

Hi folks!

I have this wonderful lens at home but as you can see there are parts missing...

I'm a beginer with LF photography and don't know much about it. It seems it lacks a shutter. I've been told a Compur3 shutter.

BUT the only one I've found on e-bay is sooooo expensive! And I don't really need a shutter 'cause I'm doing wet plates. A lens cap is sufficient...

Do you have an advice for me? Or a diy trick?

My main camera is a Linhof Technika and I've already build a few lens boards...

Thank you so much for your attention!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28168384_2026935923988223_1943434560328590078_n.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	175360

Re: Schneider Xenotar 2.8/150mm rebuilding

Quote Originally Posted by john_vandale_ View Post
    Hi folks!

I have this wonderful lens at home but as you can see there are parts missing...

I'm a beginer with LF photography and don't know much about it. It seems it lacks a shutter. I've been told a Compur3 shutter.

BUT the only one I've found on e-bay is sooooo expensive! And I don't really need a shutter 'cause I'm doing wet plates. A lens cap is sufficient...

Do you have an advice for me? Or a diy trick?

You need a 3 size shutter or, in place of a shutter a barrel mount for thatlens. A shutter, Copal or Compur will be much easier to find. You may or may not need shims also.

My main camera is a Linhof Technika and I've already build a few lens boards...

Thank you so much for your attention!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28168384_2026935923988223_1943434560328590078_n.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	175360

Hi Bob! Thank you so much for answering!

So you say I can use ANY size 3 shutter? What's the cheapest option? What's a shim?

No, you need a Compur II shutter or Copal/Compur III with adapters.

The 150/2.8 Xenotar lenses were originally mounted in a Compur II shutter variant (II 5/2+3). Not all Compur II shutters will work. It later was fitted with adapters and mounted in a Copal or Compur III shutter. Hopefully someone else will weigh in, but the easiest remedy for this will be to find a 240mm f5.6 Schneider Symmar convertible and swap elements. The 240 Symmar came in both II and III shutters. The elements just unscrew from the II and you can put your Xenotar glass in. It is a bit more complex with the III shutters, as the Symmar was also fitted with adapters which need to be removed and mounted on your Xenotar before it screws into the shutter. They may be difficult to remove.

Good luck.

See here: https://www.schneideroptics.com/info...2,8-150mm.html

and

Here: https://www.schneideroptics.com/info...5,6-240mm.html

Ok... thx a lot Jason!

These shutters are so identical to me, with different names and prices... some look recent, other very old... some are 20 dollars and some 400... I'm very lost with these technical parts...

If you find a Symmar 240mm f/5.6 in a Copal #3 shutter to use, you will find that the Symmar is screwed into the Copal with threaded adapters on the front and back cells. These are to convert it from a Compur II to a Copal/Compur #3. If you want o get it in a #3 shutter, you'll need those threaded adapters.

As mentioned above, the Compur #2 5/II variant is the one you want. I actually happen to have a spare one. but other places to find one are: Symmar 240, 165mm Angulon, Some Tele Arton 240s and 270s, and a few other lenses. There is also a barrel mount for it, that is just an aperture, no shutter, which would work fine too, and would be found on the same lenses.

-Ed

Also an older 305mm G-Claron barrel or in shutter can fit the Xenotar. Has to be the older model.

MAubrey's solution is probably the easiest/cheapest. Or use a Speed Graphic, another cheap option.

I've had 2 270mm Tele Arton lenses and neither shutter fit my Xenotar.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

if he wanted to use a SG he'd still need a barrel. It must be the 240 tele arton that is in the #2.

Yes, possibly could make something at home with some care and one of us giving him the space between the front and rear elements.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome