Thread: Wing-Lynch Model 4 Processor

Wing-Lynch Model 4 Processor

Hello all!
    I am a University Student at the University of Ottawa, and I am gathering information about the sounds of the Wing-Lynch Model 4 photo processor.
    Getting first-hand accounts of the machine's use seems to be the most challenging aspect at the moment, and I would love any help in finding information on whom I could contact, or someone to chat to about their experiences with the machine!
    Sorry that this does not contribute anything to this website, per say, but if all goes well, I could post the elaborate and detailed breakdown of the machine when my research concludes.

Re: Wing- Lynch Model 4 Processor

all I can say I hated using the WL processor. If the dam wasn't seated properly, your film was pooched as the chemistry would drain away. As for the sounds ? All I remember, besides the cursing when film was lost, was the siphoning of the chemistry from the tanks below. and the agitation. can'r recall if there were beeps between dev/stop/fix/wash.

btw, is this a business or design assignment ?

Go Karlsson !
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I used a Model 4 for a number of years. The sounds were of the water running for tempering and washing, the clicks of the solenoids allowing either nitrogen or air to push chemistry to the processing well and the motor rotating the film bi-directionally. I think there was a beep at the end of the process, but can't be sure.
    r.j. phil
    www.rjphil.com
    N.E. Large Format Photography Collective

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    all I can say I hated using the WL processor. If the dam wasn't seated properly, your film was pooched as the chemistry would drain away. As for the sounds ? All I remember, besides the cursing when film was lost, was the siphoning of the chemistry from the tanks below. and the agitation. can'r recall if there were beeps between dev/stop/fix/wash.

btw, is this a business or design assignment ?

Go Karlsson !
    This is surprisingly a history assignment; It's working through a museum studies class, and I am historically documenting this machine through the sounds it would have created!
    But thanks very much for the info!

Re: Wing-Lynch Model 4 Processor

I used a Wing-Lynch 4E for many years on the job. Like any processing machine, it was necessary to have careful technique and good mechanical condition. Then it could (and did) produce good results.
    Sounds? Motor turning, water running, the clank of the drums turning on their eccentric cams, the hiss of nitrogen and compressed air, the gurgle of the drain? It would beep occasionally, when the drum was draining and at process end.
    Can't quite see how the sounds will help you characterize the machine, but then it's a while since I was in college. I'd look for an instruction or service manual... there may even be a few of them still in use or for sale... IIRC they were based in Oregon. They made water temp controllers too- perhaps they are still in business.

I have a Wing Lynch 4, but unfortunately, I never had the chance to use it... yet. The problem is I live in a rented apartment so I can't modify the place to use the processor.

A few years ago, I asked here for manuals for the Wing Lynch and someone (unfortunately, I forgot his name) sent me the link of his website. I could then download the manual.

Here is the link http://www.prepressexpress.com/pages...downloads.html

Good luck with this machine!!!
    Jean-François

I realize this is an old thread but I may have something to add. I believe Dunning photo in Oklahoma serviced them. I know they did Kreonite stuff so it wouldn't surprise me. That's if they are still in business. I haven't dealt with them in a couple years. I recall the machines having a constant tone when the cycle was complete, in addition to the rotation and nitrogen sounds. I liked those processors. They were fairly versatile You could use the trough cover that allowed pour in chemistry so you weren't really limited by what was in the tanks. Hope your paper went well.