Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Converting Polaroid 250 camera to 4x5

Re: Converting Polaroid 250 camera to 4x5

Cool Beans! I love the very light weight and fast set up. No pan nor tilt,but 99% of all press cameras were ever tilted either and the photos went world wide and are famous to this day.
    I have several types of X-Ray film to play with. I'm finding while the X-Ray cassette phosphor screens were "fast" when struck with X-Ray photons, the film itself is not fast in as such as ASA number.
    Once I find the real film speed and use a developer such as revamped Rodinal 100:1 to see if I can get the images I would like to see.
    I just built a focusing back for my camera,while not instantly usable,It can be taken off/on in 60 seconds for that really important shot where focus is mandatory over F-stop for depth of field.
    I look forward to seeing your images! What fun for such a 4x5 camera made from a Polaroid camera sitting in a closet for decades.

I also have a focus screen for mine made out of an old film holder so it also just slides in and out easy, but I decided to leave it at home because I didn't bother bringing a tripod on my trip.

It is great fun, and certainly an amazing way to use what would otherwise be an almost useless body. It is almost too easy to use tho', especially when using sheet film, I'm just snapping away as if I was using 35mm : )

now that our windy season is dieing down, I plan on do some foot work around the Anastazi ruins here in NM. I restored a 1948 Trail King motor scooter ( way before the Tote-Gote) used to prospect for Uranium that can get into places a horse could not. It can carry me and 500 pounds of equipment that is far more than I'll even need.
    I still need to play with some X-Ray film types I have to see which type will give me the tonal range I'm looking for. Not having a negative scanner isn't helping much either. But I'll make do for the time being.
    I'm hoping others do the conversion as it makes lugging all the heavy cameras and tripod an option for a fun day shoot. I have the camera, ten film holders and the light meter in a Gas Mask bag on one shoulder and the 70's Vivatar light weight tripod on the other. Even an old phart like me can carry the gear all day long with no problems.

sounds like a perfect trip to test the camera for real!

I hope some other people go for the conversion too, the camera might not be as pretty as the other polaroids used for 4x5 conversion, but they sure are much cheaper/more abundant than them. I paid about £5 for my working version and with the cost of materials I don't think I actually spent more than about £15 total : )

I just got back from my trip and I can say that carrying the camera, 4 film holders, a box of extra film, roll film holder and changing back for about 7 hours a day walking through the city was easy enough. So I reckon you should be ok!

This is an old thread, but I just did a 4x5 conversion on a pack film camera keeping the 114mm lens and using a 3d printed back. Instead of the -1 diopter lens to compensate for the film plane moved back 18 or so cm (I like this idea!), I moved the lens body back the same amount as the film plane, using 3d printed parts. Because standard 4x5 film holders are larger than a Polaroid body, and I wanted to keep this within the dimensions of a Polaroid camera, I designed custom 3d printed film holders which are only 107mm wide, but hold a 4x5 sheet of film. I posted the details at http://polaroids.theskeltons.org/pack4x5.htm

I found that the 114mm lens doesn't quite cover 4x5, with some vignetting in the corners. So I did a similar thing to a Polaroid 110A, which is a roll film camera with a 127mm lens which covers 4x5 fine. Details at http://polaroids.theskeltons.org/pack4x5.htm