Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting Polaroid 250 camera to 4x5

Converting Polaroid 250 camera to 4x5

I have just converted a Polaroid 250 to 4x5 making it a very light weight field camera. Is there any interest on how I did it?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Converting Polaroid 250 camera to 4x5

Absolutely I'm interested in hearing how you did it.

congratulations on your success!

Of course !!

Ditto

sure..lets see a pix of it

And why?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    And why?
    If your wondering why the interest... for me it's to see how it was done because as I approach retirement I might need another project and I have an old 250 sitting on the shelf. Why not???? If it's easy enough than maybe that's the solution to my increasing difficulties of carrying a 4x5 Speed Graphic. (or... maybe I just need to spend more time at the gym).

I just retired and it too was a project I wanted to do. I live at 7,000 feet ASL and lugging 40 pounds of camera equipment is just not macho anymore but I still want to take photos using a 4x5 camera.
    I started the conversion last Thursday and have one more hour mounting the film holder back plate onto the converted camera after I find the right springs,hopefully in the AM.
    The camera is very light,as in "you have to be kidding" light. I'm hoping to have the camera,tripod,light meters,film holders and the rest under 15 pounds which looks very doable.
    I recently dumped windows 10 and all its problems and went to the Ubuntu OS and am learning Gimp photoshop type program. I have most photos ready to add to the post.
    As soon as I can get my ducks in a row I'll post the DIY this week.
    Anyone who can use common hand-tools and not end up in the ER can do this conversion.
    Thanks for the interest.

Would be interested to see it, sounds like a DIY Chamonix Saber (which is not an easy thing to replicate).

Part 1:
    I decided to convert a Polaroid 250 camera to 4x5 cut film for no other reason than weight. Where I live everything is uphill, both ways. While many have done the 100 series of Polaroid cameras I wanted it to be as light as possible, with tripod,exposure meters ,film holders,dark cloth and the like I wanted to keep all the goodies down to less than 15 pounds or less while on the trails. I may have done just that.
    I found a mint P-250 for under 20 bucks delivered and proceeded to disassemble the camera of parts that were no longer needed. The amount of weight removed from the Polaroid film packet device was more than one would think.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1859.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	175375
    Many of the original parts are held in place by rivets. They are easy to remove by using a drill bit larger than the rivet head. You just drill off the head and the rivet falls out.
    Some screws are loc-tight’ed into the body. A blast of Brake Cleaner or a dab of Acetone will soften the Loc-tight and the screw will come right out.

Name:	roller back.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	175376
    Once the roller back is removed remove all of the battery holder,its support and the wiring. you will be covering this later on.
    The spring loaded latch on the camera bottom and its parts are removed. The latch itself will be epoxy-ed in place for looks. The hole at the top will be filled with epoxy.as well.

Name:	made camera mount.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	175377
    The cameras original camera tripod mount cannot be used because you will be adding plywood that will block its use. I turned one from aluminum that is higher than the wood and is very strong. The original 14x20 threaded hole is used. I also turned and knurled another piece of AL and secured it with three #6 screws.
    The front cover with its lens and sensor is removed.There are four long flat head screws that hold the cover in place, SAVE these screws you will be using them again. Note the length as well.
    The front cover will be cut into thirds as you will see.
    Remove all of the electronics and its wiring. Pull the power wire through the upper right hand corner of the camera.

Name:	DSCF1860.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	175378
    Part 2 to follow later.