Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Converting Polaroid 250 camera to 4x5

New Mexico

Re: Converting Polaroid 250 camera to 4x5

Part 7:
    Now that I have my ducks in a row for the tripping of the shutter, I have made the linkage to trip the shutter and allow the lens trip lever to return. As it turned out after hours of tring angles and dangles,I had to add a small return spring. Not a big deal as the force needed to always return the lens lever was slight. a Ball-Point pen spring would be more than enough.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1882.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	175492
    Remember, you MUST always allow the lens trip lever to reset or you cannot re-cock the shutter.
    All speeds including "B" work as they should.
    All parts are at the same height as the cameras cast lens holder. The cover is fairly open and you do have some wiggle room it your parts are a little high. Your now are ready to finish the camera.
    For ecstatics I did use parts of the front cover. I used a mill to cut the casting but a good hack saw or coping saw can be used.
    All I wanted to cover was the tripping device and balance out the front of the camera. Nothing fancy,just for giggles.

Name:	front cover.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	175493
    The cover pieces are held into place by the three long screws you saved. A dab of contact cement on the ridges will keep them from moving is bumped. Not really a big deal. As I said the cover is for looks.
    There are two "slits" in the covers for the original shutter and cocking levers. you can fill them in,or leave them alone.

Name:	completed camera1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	175494

New Mexico

Part 8:
    The final part that needs to be made is the wooden Cut Film Holder spring back plate.
    All this does is to apply a force on the CFH to keep it in place and light tight. It must allow you to cam the CFH into/out of the CFH frame you made.
    I could have gone fancy with all brass fitting ha screws, but for this article I used what I had on hand. The city is a 50 mile round trip.
    The corners of the film back will have thumb screws and ligh springs. How light?.... 6 ounce compression force each. Just under two pounds of force total. That is all that is needed.
    All of the wooden parts are painted flat black. Walmart in it's hobby section sells little plastic four/six ounce Craft Paint for 50 cents a bottle. This paint will not flake off and seems to hold up very well.
    One bottle is more than enough for several coats of paint if needed.

Name:	DSCF1891.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	175495
    What I did that is not mandatory,but cleans up the back of the camera, is to fill in the two gaps that used to hold the film pack. I just used scrap wood and glued it into place and covered what was left with 1/8" plywood.
    The camera is ready for use and it works well. I have only taken one exposure so far using X-Ray film and Microdol-X developer. I was trying an experiment that flopped but I got an interesting image.
    F:64- 5 second exposure. Microldol-x diluted 60:1. One hour stationary development.
    The silver halide grains clumped together giving the effect of almost Half-Tone images of a Newspaper. Hey, I tried.

Name:	1stphotoB.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	175496
    The only disadvantage of this camera conversion is the close up minimum focusing distance. It is 43 inches. By your choice on lens you could do much better I'm sure.
    I hope you get the bug to do a conversion as I did. It was not hard and in total it only took me 14 hours to figure it out and get it right. It could be done to the extreme for unparalleled quality and beauty, but I just wanted a very light 4x5" camera that worked and did not cost as much as a used car.
    Oh yea, the camera is still under two pounds.

Name:	DSCF1942.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	175499

Name:	DSCF1943.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	175500
    With the tripod, meters,film holders, dark-cloth, cable release, bungee cord and bag to carry the equipment* I'm under 12 pounds! Man anyone could carry that a very long trek for that photo you must have.
    * tripod is very light. Carrying bag is hung from the tripod using the bungee cord and filled with stones or sand to keep it steady in a light wind.
    I hoping to use the camera for our very short lived waterfall this spring here in the desert. It's a long hike,all uphill,both-ways.

We await your images.

Good documentation.

I want to make one!