Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where (else) to buy (on line) used camera?

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

Where (else) to buy (on line) used camera?

I could start this topic with subject "I hate eBay Outbid Notice"...

Am I just that unlucky with 8x10 equipment, or am I that uninformed with values of those systems? Last week one Deardorf went for just a little bit over $600, there is one relisted for $900. Those usually sells for over 1200. I'm right now loosing one unnamed 8x10 with really limited movements. Are those really worth over $300? I'm not in hurry to buy 8x10 right now, but knowing me, I will spend all that money very very soon. And the next extra cache will came just before Christmas and I won't be able to count on this. And my birthday is arriving so I believe it is much better to buy wanted large size now rather than something else (I really don't need new trousers and shoes as my wife think). It is not huge amount - about one thousand is saved for camera, lens, holders. If I where in USA, I could choose from much longer list, but about 50% of stuff on ebay is "USA only".

So after those lines of sorrow, came question: where would you look for the cheap used (not to abused) 8x10 (field!) camera?
    Adorama, MPEX, Badgergraphic, B&H... photo.net are sites I know but have such items just occasionally and for much higher prices. I would really like to see classifieds here as people here are serious and honest, but I'm afraid it might be overkill for such community (Holgas-fear?)

Tnx for any suggestion or words of comfort,
    Janko

this should get you started...

EP Levine, Ken Mar, Lens & Repro, Photo Habitat, Photo Gizmmo, Quality Camera, PPR, Glazers, Gasser, K&S, Bear Images, Samys, Silvios, Nelson, Werners, Photo Mark, Tempe, Schillers, Helix, Central, Ft Worth Camera, Houston Camera Exchange, Precision Camera, KEH, and finally, IMHO the best in the biz, Midwest Photo

Patience. Unless prices have started going up lately the older wooden cameras are selling for well below your budget. Just keep your eyes open. It's fustrating watching things get bid well beyond thier real value but every so often something sells for well below it's real value.

Janko,
    I take it you live outside the USA? If so, remember to add shipping costs (10x8 gear isn't light) and, if, in the EU, VAT. Those dealer prices might not look so tempting now. Which ebay site are you looking at? 10x8 kit comes up on the UK one quite regularly.

Janko, it is hard to stress Midwest enough. Most importantly, looking at their website online won't help that much. You have to call (614.261.1264) or email (jim@mpex.com) Jim to find out the latest stock and best prices. IMO he generally has a large stock of 8x10's on hand.

Janko: Have patience my friend!

The prices and availability at a certain unnamed online auction site seem to run in cycles. If you watch and keep a long "watch list" you will eventually find what you are looking for. You may have to stay up late some nights to be online when the item you want closes, but if you want it, it's worth it. Bargains don't come along very often on that site, but they tend to show up from time to time - you just have to be watching and ready when they do.

Lawrd knows I have TOO MANY cameras and should be banned from that site because I can't resist a bargain! :-) I picked up my 8x10 for $300+ because it was of unknown make. Another $300 put a REALLY nice lens on it. Did I need an 8x10? Not really. Also picked up a nice Conley 5x7 for $100+ Did I need a 5x7? No, but it was SUCH a pretty camera . . . ;-)

So have patience. It may take 6 months or a year but something will come up. Having been trolling e*** for cameras for the past year, I have seen about 4 price dips - one just before Christmas (when most people have to save money for "family" stuff), one mid-winter, and one in the spring. I presume the dips happen when most people are busy with non-photography stuff or short on money.

As for the "available to the U.S.A. only", do you have a good friend in the States who would be willing to recieve the item and then do the export shipping? Some sellers are afraid of the paperwork to send stuff abroad (even though it is fairly simple) but will gladly accept your bid if you have a U.S. ship-to address - always check with the seller before bidding.

Happy hunting.

Of course, instead of staying up late, you could just use Auction Sniper (http://www.auctionsniper.com/default.aspx) which puts in your bid seconds before the auction closes. Minimal fee, and far better control.

You may want to wait unitl winter. Everbody will be burning there furniture to stay warm with heating oil this high.

With your budget of $1000 for camera, lens and holders I don't think you should be looking at Deardorffs. Any Deardorff you can get for about $500-$600 (which is all you can spend and still have money left over for a decent lens and a couple holders) is virtually guaranteed to be in very bad shape. If it's a field camera you want I'd suggest looking at Kodak Commercial Views or Kodak 2Ds (same camera, Commercial is magnesium, 2D is wood) or some of the older Senecas, Koronas, Burke & James et al that show up on ebay all the time. Good examples of these old 8x10s usually sell in the $300-$400 range. With most of them the movements won't be extensive but they're nice cameras that are fine for general purpose photography. If you buy from someone with good feeback you can be pretty sure that the camera will be as described.

The main thing to ask about with any 8x10 camera in your price range is bellows light leaks. Replacing an 8x10 bellows will cost almost as much as the cost of one of these older 8x10 cameras. Stay away from sellers on ebay who say things like "I haven't used the camera or tested for bellows leaks but the bellows look fine" or things like that. If the seller can't assure you from personal use or testing with a flashlight that the bellows are fine don't buy the camera.

With respect to dealers, there aren't any dealers that carry a large inventory of used 8x10 cameras so you'll have to do a lot of checking at a lot of different places to find what you're looking for. Two dealers that usually have at least a few 8x10 cameras and that haven't been mentioned are Brooklyn Camera (smaller selection but seems to have more old stuff than some other places) and Igor Camera or Igor Photographic, something like that, Google using those terms and he will pop up. I've bought several things from Igor, the prices were lower than most other places and he seems to be reputable.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Doug Dolde

My best bidding tool: http://www.snipeswipe.com

It will bid for you in the last 5 seconds up to the max you specify.