Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aw geez... Where do I begin?

Re: Aw geez... Where do I begin?

Thank you for welcoming me in and also for not turning the squirrel on me. I look forward to picking up on a lot of knowledge along the way and may, just maybe, passing along a couple of walnuts of knowledge myself.
    With that being said, what brought you all into the large format for shooting? I first learned about it in from Randolph Community College (Randolph Technical Institute from the old days) and stepped into the exciting and dynamic world of Home Fashions Photography. Actually, I like it better when I say I take pictures of furniture. Film was King and 8x10s and 4x5s littered the studios until medium format and ultimately digital took over. The advances have been amazing and I understand what it takes to make it in this slice of the pie. I sold all of my large format gear many years ago to make way for DSLRs and all that fun stuff. What I missed was the control over a single shot that you could make in camera. Fast forward several years later and I have friends in the industry that have donated lots of stuff to help me get back into doing what I originally loved. So, what are your stories???

Drew Wiley

This neighborhood has been taken over by crows. I can almost translate their squawky caw dialect, but wouldn't want to repeat their undignified expletives. One was striding over to a Dorito chip fallen into the middle of the street. Then the squirrel sped past and snatched the chip, which started an all-out aerial assault. But the squirrel got away and enjoyed the stolen snack. Never a dull moment around here, and I doubt even a cardinal could pontificate a peace treaty between all these amusing critters.

I was looking for my first digital camera and I came across Ken Rockwell's site. He had an interesting article about a Tachihara 4x5. I looked on Ebay and bought an inexpensive used Cambo SC with a Schneider 210mm lens from a local professional photographer. After a month or two he contacted me to see if I wanted to sell it back to him. His boss wanted to put a digital back on it. He offered me $100 more than I paid for it so I said sure. I took the money (added a little more) and bought a brand new Tachihara 4x5. During all this I was trying to learn more about large format and ran across this forum by accident. I also picked up a Sinar P for using longer lenses but I eventually sold both and bought a used Wehman 8x10 which I have now.

In my youth I became enchanted by Silly Symphonies animated cartoons and those old timey cameras with noses(bellows.)
    I steal time at 1/125th of a second, so I don't consider my photography to be Fine Art as much as it is petty larceny.
    I'm not OCD. I'm CDO which is alphabetically correct.