Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aw geez... Where do I begin?

Aw geez... Where do I begin?

Hey there! My name is Kevin and I am getting back to shooting and developing 4x5 and hoping to be able to remember what all I have forgotten. I am also going to learn how to shoot tintypes and process them on the go for an added pain in my butt. If there are any people in the central NC area, hit me up!

Drew Wiley

Re: Aw geez... Where do I begin?

I forgot what it was I was supposed to remember. I write down lists and forget where I put them, just like the squirrel the other day who couldn't decide where to bury a walnut, so eventually left it sitting on the driveway. You'll be in good company. Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I write down lists and forget where I put them, just like the squirrel the other day who couldn't decide where to bury a walnut, so eventually left it sitting on the driveway. ...
    Oh no, the squirrel did not forget it there nor was it indecisive - it just decided it was safe there. It will eventually return to it if you leave it there.
    From one who's got 3 squirrels on his window sill to feed.

Drew Wiley

Maybe, maybe not. There's also a goshawk patrolling the neighborhood.

The goshawk will not take the walnut, of course, but prefers to take the squirrel.
    Once I was observing a goshawk chasing a sparrow on a tree under my window. The sparrow wasn't leaving the tree but finding its densest parts among the branches and changing the place from one branch to the other. The goshawk could not move as quickly as the small sparrow did and after 15 min it quit the match...
    But not to get OT - badbroccoli, broccoli is not bad, just put a pinch of salt and pepper on it and you will like it. Much more health for tintypes then.

Drew Wiley

I had hawks for pets as a kid, but admit having trouble distinguishing immature goshawks from Cooper hawks, which are far more common around here. But Swainson and red tails are a more serious threat to squirrels. The osprey and bald eagles prefer fish. Peregrines like pigeons. But my favorite are Marsh hawks who can hover and then dive bomb a vole or gopher. There was one of those following me on my 8x10 outing a few days ago. I had a golden eagle nest in an oak in my pasture for decades, but the tree fell and they didn't come back. I sold the ranch soon after due to all the upkeep at my age.

Hi Kevin, and welcome. I know we have a few members here living in NC. I am in south central VA, about an hour north of Greensboro.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

loujon

Hi Kevin Welcome to the forum! As well as back to film/LF photography much of it is a bit like riding a bike but "seeing it" takes some time/practice IMHO.

I like Randy know there are a few folks in the NC area so I'm betting you'll find some LF buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I had hawks for pets as a kid, but admit having trouble distinguishing immature goshawks from Cooper hawks, which are far more common around here. But Swainson and red tails are a more serious threat to squirrels. The osprey and bald eagles prefer fish. Peregrines like pigeons. But my favorite are Marsh hawks who can hover and then dive bomb a vole or gopher. There was one of those following me on my 8x10 outing a few days ago. I had a golden eagle nest in an oak in my pasture for decades, but the tree fell and they didn't come back. I sold the ranch soon after due to all the upkeep at my age.
    We have bald eagles here occasionally. They fly over the river just north of the city. You need a 35mm or DSLR camera with a long lens to shoot them though. We also have quite a few Cardinals. The city even built a stadium for them. I can only afford the cheap seats though and can't get close enough with my 8x10.

Welcome to the forum, Kevin. We are all crazy here!

Some of this thread is squirrely, and some is for the birds. But there's wisdom in these forums! Welcome, Kevin!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."