Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SunLike LED inside the home, studio, streetlights...

Re: SunLike LED inside the home, studio, streetlights...

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    On a tangent - does anyone think these types of lights could be strong enough to make Pt Pd or Gum which require high intensity, high UV wavelength light.??
    Somebody has to try it. Look at the Spectrum on page 5 here. http://www.seoulsemicon.com/upload2/...66A_Rev0.2.pdf

Might be a good thing to have a UV meter...at least until you know what it the light does.

The PDF is for PAR, MR16, the street lights I have seen have 20 or more in one panel. Diffusion may be an issue.

I believe Sandy has experimented with UV Leds. High CRI emitters wouldn't seem to be required for that purpose.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I believe Sandy has experimented with UV Leds. High CRI emitters wouldn't seem to be required for that purpose.
    Peter, you don't think the improved UV saturation from 400 to 450 nm would be advantageous? Perhaps shorter exposure times? IDK

There is a sharp cutoff below 400 nm and i think Alt users want down to 350 nm, which current BLB fluorescents supply easily. https://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/li...50nm/f20t12bl/ This one is listed as good for chemical processing...

Drew Wiley

Oh heck no. Maybe, remotely possible for a conventional colorhead someday if a far higher wattage version ever exists. There are plenty of high-UV bulbs out there already. Gotta be careful with em though.

Drew Wiley

For small prints you can even use a conventional sunlamp; but be careful with skin and eyes! Used contact printing lights were once abundant in pre-press equipment houses, probably still are. Look under Printing in the Industrial section of EBay rather than photographic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Oh heck no. Maybe, remotely possible for a conventional colorhead someday if a far higher wattage version ever exists. There are plenty of high-UV bulbs out there already. Gotta be careful with em though.
    Please show me a source Drew for these Bulbs

The Hyperikon brand offers 6000k in certain types, though I couldnt find and spectrum charts on them. I wonder if that would make any difference in the alt processes.

Drew Wiley

Look under scientific applications, Bob. There was an entire walk-in store in downtown SF dedicated to UV, recently forced out of business by the usual suspects - skyrocketing rent, internet competition, and retirement plans. UV is used a lot in tech industries. You'd have be more specific about your needs, and perhaps I could help with the search. There are bulbs out there that need water-cooling jackets, and it was only about a year ago that some actual UV LF enlargers went to landfill in perfectly operable condition because someone wouldn't budge an inch on asking price. I've got all kinds of special UV-tolerant gasketing, tapes, and sealants in my own shop from local tech or aerospace supply houses.

Downside to a lot of the newer LED's and fluorescents is the lack of heat they produce. Can't lay one on the car battery overnight in a drop cord mechanics light to keep the battery warm. Or put the drop cord light down the covered well, tied off so it can't hit the water, to keep the surface and pipe from freezing.
    Some of the newer lights don't want to come on in sub zero temperatures (0-40 below) which makes them unusable a night for about half the year where we are.

The "full spectrum" LED lights do look nice. Clean light that makes food and interiors look good.

Just need to figure out how do small lights to replace the fluorescent type head in the 5x7 Beseler enlarger.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Drew Wiley

Still there,Bob? There are eight pages on EBay for NuArc bulbs alone; and their sources no doubt have a lot of other stuff. There's a huge new bulb only store just over a mile down the street from me. I should stop in there some day. Plenty of high-tech R&D going on around here.