The "New Old Guy of 72" from 2015 didn't quit...
... a reintroduction --and a message to other starters

In August 2015 I signed up here (from Cape Town South Africa), and had a friendly welcome ...
but then I didn't follow up by posting on this forum.
My apologies to those who responded so warmly. Now at last I'm calling in....

I have hung in with 4x5, through several phases , the earliest in 1963. To new users I must say this. If, like me, you also have years of hand cameras behind you,
have patience: eventually the big camera delivers.
My big push was a recent trip back to North Portugal, working in a old mountain town I know well. BUT:
--- Hanging a Sinar P from my shoulder ?
--- and a Manfrotto over the other ? Plus stuff ? Me now in my mid-70's ?
I really wondered if I would be up to it... but it all worked.

The Sinar, PLUS an extra front standard and mask is (expletively) heavy.
I put a wide nylon webbing shoulder strap onto the rail of the inverted camera.
This hung over my shoulder - swopping shoulders regularly.
Hanging on light cord from the rail, below and enclosing the camera is its "flight-case", haha. This is a feeble light cardboard carton with a sheet of bubblepack in it.
When I put this down on the rocks (or at a pavement café) "O'Sullivan" *** sits open but safe, upside down. One other lens, meter and a few holders are in a light cloth bag. The camera is ready to plug onto the tripod.
I found I could move this rig up to a kilometre on foot, and then work for a couple of hours in a surprisingly big work zone.

Then comes the work. We are after the "decisive hours". The light, the land, the vanishing stone wall - whatever - they change as we work, so do we. My LF pictures never feel like 35, even tripod 35. Some other subtle atmosphere seems to settle.

Also I started developing a single sheet or two at a time. In a tiny dish 300ml - done right away. Fifteen minutes later - results to look at. You surprise yourself. And at home, keep it going. Put the camera on the tripod, point the thing out of a window, or go into the garden. Take a picture of the car's grille, the broom. Make one negative. It starts to add up. You feel like you're doing it.
Later comes stuff you KNOW is beautiful

Ruari
-----------------------------
*** That camera name is a bow to America's Tim O Sulllivan and his donkey wagon. My other 4x5 is "Evans", but not your Walk-ing one -- England's wonderful Frederick Evans of the 1900's - cathedral + architectural pictures.)