Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 210mm for 8x10"

Re: 210mm for 8x10"

The Fujinon with inside lettering only has a little room for movements - you have to be careful not to vignette but its fast, smallish, and cheap - what’s not to like about that. The next step up is the Computar/Kowa Graphic f9 at least in terms of coverage and small size. Love to get my hands on a 210 SSXL but those are very pricey. Better to go wider and get the 150 SSXL IMHO at least for 8x10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    . . . I'm used to shooting wide on 4x5" (I like 90mm, but slightly tighter is okay too), and all the lenses I've used in that format have had tons of IC for big movements. In 8x10" it seems that IC is a problem with wide lenses, at least in terms of what I'm used to. I like to shoot in tight spaces, with a lot of front rise. . . .
    I have both 8x10 and 4x5, and I wrestled with a similar issue. But, it occurred to me that 8x10 is better suited to a different kind of image and photograph, something more towards fine-art. I feel that wide-angle lenses are less relevant for this kind of photography.

Why have two cameras that can do exactly the same thing?

When needed, a Fujinon 250mm f6.7 is plenty wide and has quite a lot of movement for 8x10.

210mm is a great focal length on 8x10. Honestly, I think it is an essential part of a good 8x10 shooting outfit (I mostly use normal and 1.5x lenses.) Really the Computar/Graphic Kowa 210 is the best performer in the smallest package. If you can find one in a shutter for a fair price $400-500 you should be pleased. I've had more than one, but like the personality of the 21cm Angulon better. So that's what I stuck with. Done the 210 G-Claron and 8 1/4 Dagor route as well. The G-Claron is tight on 8x10 (as is the 210 Apo-Sironar W), the 8 1/4 Dagor does a better job, but my Angulon is a bit sharper and coated.

If you shoot 8x10 long enough you'll end up trying just about every 210 out there. It's a perpetual quest to find the best combination of performance/size/price in this focal length.

Inherent difficulty with 8x10, good wide angle lenses. Modern variety are BIG, Pricy and now not so easy to get likely due to demand.

The 210mm Graphic Kowa is a good choice,it is small and covers OK. They were offered in Copal# 1 shutter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graphic:Kowa 210mm f9.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	174689
    This one was once owned by Morley Bear, he used it on 8x10.

210mm Angulon is another good choice.
    Modern wide angles in this focal length are BIG, 210mm Super Angulon, 200mm Grandagon..

Other vintage alternatives 10" Kodak Wide Field Ektar.
    Know the difference between image circle of illumination -vs- image circle of designed in definition. A given lens might illuminate the film area, it's image quality at the corners could be poor.

Bernice
    Last edited by Bernice Loui; 13-Feb-2018 at 10:10. Reason: Add image of Graphic/Kowa 210mm f9

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    Hi all,

I've done some searching and read the spreadsheets here and various other places, but what are peoples opinions on 210mm lens options for 8x10"?

I'm used to shooting wide on 4x5" (I like 90mm, but slightly tighter is okay too), and all the lenses I've used in that format have had tons of IC for big movements. In 8x10" it seems that IC is a problem with wide lenses, at least in terms of what I'm used to. I like to shoot in tight spaces, with a lot of front rise.

What do people think with regards to the best performing lens of this focal length that isn't going to cost me a fortune, but also gives generous room for movements? Does anything actually exist that fits this bill, or am I essentially limited to 240mm lenses?

Thanks,

Tim
    I have a 180mm I use for 8x10, but I don't know why this lens size is so rare in 8x10, and so common in 4x5.
    The common list of LF lenses contains most of the 210mm lenses one can obtain, have you checked the list.

https://www.graflex.org/lenses/lens-spec.html

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    ...something more towards fine-art. I feel that wide-angle lenses are less relevant for this kind of photography.
    Wide-angles are not for fine-art photography??? Huh?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

This image art?
    https://hopanseladams15.files.wordpr.../piedritas.jpg

One needs to question the intent of, "But, it occurred to me that 8x10 is better suited to a different kind of image and photograph, something more towards fine-art. I feel that wide-angle lenses are less relevant for this kind of photography."

Better to view any camera, lens or other imaging system as nothing more than an artistic tool as a means of artistic expression.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I have both 8x10 and 4x5, and I wrestled with a similar issue. But, it occurred to me that 8x10 is better suited to a different kind of image and photograph, something more towards fine-art. I feel that wide-angle lenses are less relevant for this kind of photography.

Joel Edmondson

My favorite was the 210 Angulon. For my taste the Angulons just produced beautiful image tones - neither flat nor harsh. The 210 Angulons are hard to find but for coverage they are hard to beat.
    Joel

Quote Originally Posted by karl french View Post
    210mm is a great focal length on 8x10. Honestly, I think it is an essential part of a good 8x10 shooting outfit (I mostly use normal and 1.5x lenses.) Really the Computar/Graphic Kowa 210 is the best performer in the smallest package. If you can find one in a shutter for a fair price $400-500 you should be pleased. I've had more than one, but like the personality of the 21cm Angulon better. So that's what I stuck with. Done the 210 G-Claron and 8 1/4 Dagor route as well. The G-Claron is tight on 8x10 (as is the 210 Apo-Sironar W), the 8 1/4 Dagor does a better job, but my Angulon is a bit sharper and coated.

If you shoot 8x10 long enough you'll end up trying just about every 210 out there. It's a perpetual quest to find the best combination of performance/size/price in this focal length.
    Couldn't agree more, and I've tried every semi-affordable 210 out there.
    I should have scooped up a 210XL when they were more plentiful, but I've sort of settled on a Computar f9, until I win the lottery, of course, and could then afford the XL.
    Tim, do a forum search, because this topic comes up regularly, and there may be some good info hidden in the older pages.

Not so sure the SSXL is absolutely "better" than Angulon after more than two decades of ownership of the 150mm SSXL and 165mm Angulon and images made. Yes, the SSXL produces very etched, high contrast, well defined images on film, but the Angulon or Dagor continues to have a smoother overall image rendition than the SSXL.

The SSXL is a LOT bigger, bulkier and heavier than the Angulon or WA Dagor, yet these vintage gems continues to produce very pleasing images.

During a image sharing event some years ago, one of the artist (Karl) displayed a B&W print image we made during a group trip. One look at that finished print screamed to me that image was made with a Dagor, Karl confirmed this was so.

At this point, I'm going to flat refuse to believe the modern SSXL is clearly superior to the Angulon or it's Dagor variants. Much a different tool and means of expression rather than competitive better than the other.

Your Results Will Vary.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Couldn't agree more, and I've tried every semi-affordable 210 out there.
    I should have scooped up a 210XL when they were more plentiful, but I've sort of settled on a Computar f9, until I win the lottery, of course, and could then afford the XL.
    Tim, do a forum search, because this topic comes up regularly, and there may be some good info hidden in the older pages.