Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 210mm for 8x10"

Re: 210mm for 8x10"

One might also consider a 200mm f/6.5 TAYLOR-HOBSON WIDE ANGLE ANASTIGMAT. I bought the lens in a barrel mount to use on my 11x14. The image it projected so impressed me, that I ended up buying a new Copal #3 shutter and had S K Grimes mount the optic in it. Covers 11x14 with a very little bit of movement possible. When used it on my 8x10, allows for a lot of movement. Believe it was coated by B&J at one time but only educated speculation on my part. The image it projects is very much akin to a Dagor but with a bit more contrast.

210mm SSXL available, add cubic $.
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pho...462745197.html

Note: 100 degrees.

IMO, very hight price for any LF optic. Back in the 8x10 days the sought after modern 200mm would be the 200mm Grandagon. This is a very good lens, very BIG, very heavy, very pricy, BIG image circle of 495mm at F22, 100 degrees. It does produce that modern WA etch-high contrast look that similar modern WA lenses do. Having been there done this what would be the post process image system that can truly take advantage of this optic today?

The other similar optic, 210mm Super Angulon, 500mm image circle at f22, 100 degrees.

Either lens will likely run the camera out of movement before running out of image circle for 8x10.

How many folks have a good 8x10 enlarger (Durst 184) and large print processing facility to utilize 8x10 film to it's best advantage? Size, bulk, weight and more all goes up very rapidly once enlarging 8x10 is the goal for a finished print.

Me being the forever 5x7 fan has a very broad selection of wide angle lenses of vintage to modern at far lower cost. The 72mm SAXL gets out to 115 degrees, a front to back perspective not easily achieved on 8x10. Beyond this problem of optics difficulties with 8x10, film flatness matters when images demand the high possible image quality from a sheet of film. Film flatness is simply better on 5x7 -vs- 8x10 and the working apertures can be larger too.

IMO, for contact prints which 8x10 and larger excels, but the trade-offs are serious once projected enlargement of 8x10 film is a must do for the finished print.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Your point is well taken, however...
    When I reach for a 210 on 8x10, it's usually to shoot a structure of some kind, and for those, I like having the XL's clinical contrast and sharpness.
    What's more, every time I use a 210, I quickly run out of room. It may be my way of working with the camera, the subjects I choose, I don't know, but I always run out of IC, and quickly.
    My favourite 210 was a beautiful Sironar-W, IC of ~352mm (similar to the Angulon), and I had to sell it because dealing with the limited IC was frustrating.
    The Computar is much better in that respect, I very rarely run out of IC, but image quality is not on the same level as the Rodenstock.

Drew Wiley

Film flatness is a non-issue if you have adhesive holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    210mm SSXL available, add cubic $.
    No kidding! Prices on these are officially delusional.
    I'm only buying one when I win the lottery, which I will, of course.

Been there done these.... Illl
    Never again.

Want really flat, 8x10 glass plates.

Then we have camera alignment, squashed bag bellows and still limited to less than 100 degrees of view angle.
    8x10...

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Film flatness is a non-issue if you have adhesive holders.

That's the thing about 8x10. Beyond 240mm to 480mm if you aren't limited with the lenses available then you are limited by the price or the small image circle.

Exactly... if you're going to 8x10. This is the reality of optic choices.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    That's the thing about 8x10. Beyond 240mm to 480mm if you aren't limited with the lenses available then you are limited by the price or the small image circle.

Is anyone out there using a SK G-Claron 210mm for 8x10"? Is the published IC significantly different to real world experience, as it is with the 240mm version?

Also, I found an unused Topcor 210mm in the cupboard at work (don't ask...) It has a published IC of 295mm from memory, but anyone actally used it with 8x10" with movements? Any real world experience here?

Thanks,

Tim

An interesting thread

I have used (but not recently) a 1980's f5.6 Symmar which from memory fully covered 8 x 10, it's pretty big and has the gold rim - that was to celebrate an anniversary of Jos Schneider (probably his birth). I prefer 240mm for this format and use a Berlin made Dagor. Harry Cory Wright used a 240mm lens for his Egyptian project a year or so ago:

https://inews.co.uk/news/long-reads/...-harry-burton/

Andrew

Hi Tim
    The 210 g claron definitely covers 810 w very little movements, but it's a very nice and sharp lens. My model is the plasmat design so it might be that the dagor offers more coverage. It will also fit directly in a copal 1 shutter, so if you find one in barrel get it.