Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: 210mm for 8x10"

Re: 210mm for 8x10"

Pretty sure he meant f/45.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have the Norma version of the 210mm Super Angulon, and a non-Sinar 210mm f6.8 Angulon. Both will get the job done with 8x10
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Joel Edmondson

The 210mm f6.8 Angulon was (as far as I know) never produced in an MC version. There were some single-coated versions (usually denoted by the red triangle on the front lens retaining ring) which were produced in the 1960-1964 range. This remains to this day as my favorite 8x10 WA lens for performance, size, weight. Everyone has different preferences/priorities and you just have to choose based on your preferences! As a young soldier I acquired 165 and 210 Angulons in the early sixties while stationed in Germany and used them on both 4x5 and 8x10.
    Joel

If greater coverage in a smaller size is what the OP is looking for then the 210 angulon is probably the best available option. I was lucky and found Zeiss f9 dagors in both 180mm and 210mm. Both cover 8x10 with plenty of movement. Not easy to source.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oops! Yes, I meant f45. Autocorrect keeps inserting the point!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Pretty sure he meant f/45.
    Sounds like the Angulon is a good step up from my G-Claron coverage wise, especially at wider apertures. Some serious thought is now needed...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    If greater coverage in a smaller size is what the OP is looking for then the 210 angulon is probably the best available option. I was lucky and found Zeiss f9 dagors in both 180mm and 210mm. Both cover 8x10 with plenty of movement. Not easy to source.
    From ASF earlier in this thread, the Computar f9 210mm lens is sharp to 90 deg., while it's circle of illumination extends to 95 deg. That means that it's sharp to an image circle of 420 deg. Sandy King has stated that he gets coverage (circle of illumination) for this lens at 456mm, which corresponds to 94.7 deg. This more or less agrees with a Gordon Hutchings article, in which he found that the Computar f9 210mm lens covers 460mm. Note that these claims are for apertures higher than the usual f22. Computar f9 lenses are mounted in a Copal 1 shutter, and it can be found as a multi-coated lens.

Late Schneider literature states that the 210mm Angulon covers 85 deg. at f22, which is coverage of 385mm. It's mounted in a Copal 3 shutter, and it exists only as a single-coated lens.

It looks like the Computar f9 210mm lens also stands out as a nice lens.

Of course, there's always the Schneider Super-Symmar XL or used Super Angulon 210mm lenses that beats all these smaller lenses. But, those lenses (used or otherwise) are super heavy, super large, and super expensive.

I actually really like my g-Claron Dagor. I bought it as a stopgap until I could afford a ‘better’ lens with more coverage, but I’ll keep it to use on occasions when I want a certain look or need to pack light.

The Computar was always too of my wish list but they are hard to find, especially at what I can realistic prices in a shutter. The Angulon isn’t much easier or cheaper, but I’ve seen a few lately in good order.

The big lenses are inarguably better but not for me as way too big and fragile to carry for my tastes.