Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to keep dust off negatives

How to keep dust off negatives

Looking for a way to get and keep the dust of negatives before scanning. The clothes with Aztec wet scan kit are decidedly not lint for, nor all that soft, I use an anti static brush for film/sensors/lenses, but no matter how careful and meticulous, I always end up with dust. I know can't get rid of it all, but I would like to minimize it as much as possible short of turning my office into a clean room.

Re: How to keep dust off negatives

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    Looking for a way to get and keep the dust of negatives before scanning. The clothes with Aztec wet scan kit are decidedly not lint for, nor all that soft, I use an anti static brush for film/sensors/lenses, but no matter how careful and meticulous, I always end up with dust. I know can't get rid of it all, but I would like to minimize it as much as possible short of turning my office into a clean room.

Clean room is what I was going to suggest. Humidity helps with dust and static. Using a Swiffer often, clean clothes and a HEPA filter will help also.
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

The anti-static brushes do less to remove static charge than prevent additional static charge from building.

I do mural size enlargements and dust removal is critical. Here are the things I do to remove dust:

1. To clean my negatives, I place them down on a polish piece of metal that is connected to ground with a wire to help draw off the static charge.

2. I also use an anti-static brush that uses a grounding wire to help draw off any static charge: https://www.amazon.com/KINETRONICS-S...tistatic+brush.

3. I use an ant-static air gun. The gun is connected to an ionizer that neutralizes all static charge and an air compressor. I use 145 psi of pressure to blow off dust with the gun. The gun is also applicable for removing dust on prints for framing especially prints that have dark surfaces where dust is very visible. I also use the gun to clean equipment and lenses.

4. I use a lint roller which uses a sticky surface to remove very tough dust. You have to be care when using this technique otherwise you can crease or damage the negative. I hold the negative flat down on my metal plate on one edge with my hand and roll the roller away from my hand so that you are apply a pulling force rather than a pushing force: https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-...s=lint+remover

Hope this helps.

As pointed, I also use and HEPA filter, Honeywell HAP-16200E. And no dust...

All suggetions are helpful. Doesn't help I live in AZ where 3/4 of the year there is less than zero humidity! I bet turning my office into a clean room would be like astronomical!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard View Post
    The anti-static brushes do less to remove static charge than prevent additional static charge from building.

I do mural size enlargements and dust removal is critical. Here are the things I do to remove dust:

1. To clean my negatives, I place them down on a polish piece of metal that is connected to ground with a wire to help draw off the static charge.

2. I also use an anti-static brush that uses a grounding wire to help draw off any static charge: https://www.amazon.com/KINETRONICS-S...tistatic+brush.

3. I use an ant-static air gun. The gun is connected to an ionizer that neutralizes all static charge and an air compressor. I use 145 psi of pressure to blow off dust with the gun. The gun is also applicable for removing dust on prints for framing especially prints that have dark surfaces where dust is very visible. I also use the gun to clean equipment and lenses.

4. I use a lint roller which uses a sticky surface to remove very tough dust. You have to be care when using this technique otherwise you can crease or damage the negative. I hold the negative flat down on my metal plate on one edge with my hand and roll the roller away from my hand so that you are apply a pulling force rather than a pushing force: https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-...s=lint+remover

Hope this helps.
    What is the make of the anti-static air gun? Ionizer? Do you have a picture you could share on this set up? I was going to get an air compressor and gun to get dust off.

All suggetions are helpful. Doesn't help I live in AZ where 3/4 of the year there is less than zero humidity!
    Less than zero? Really. 23% is high plains humidity.

On Topic: a stand-alone forced dust filter with additional HEPA layer works in my darkroom. We have them in our house. Much like Pere's. And Swifters are great for dusting.
    Here is the one we use.

And Steve, our scanning tech wore clean cotton gloves and long-sleeved shirt. A whole lot dust comes from our skin shedding - and it constantly does that.

Good luck, Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Less than zero? Really. 23% is high plains humidity.

On Topic: a stand-alone forced dust filter with additional HEPA layer works in my darkroom. We have them in our house. Much like Pere's. And Swifters are great for dusting.
    Here is the one we use.

And Steve, our scanning tech wore clean cotton gloves and long-sleeved shirt. A whole lot dust comes from our skin shedding - and it constantly does that.

Good luck, Sir!
    Thanks for the advice. I will use cotton gloves and start wearing a long sleeve shirt. Being a bit facetious on humidity, but we can get down into single digits when it is 115+ outside.

[...] Being a bit facetious on humidity, but we can get down into single digits when it is 115+ outside.
    I understand now. Thanks. I lived in the desert, too. I loved it. The Swamp Cooler was our friend. I even had one on my '58 Volkswagen's passenger window. (Not installed in that photo)

Best of luck with the dust issue in your unique situation. Keep us informed. We can all learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I understand now. Thanks. I lived in the desert, too. I loved it. The Swamp Cooler was our friend. I even had one on my '58 Volkswagen's passenger window. (Not installed in that photo)

Best of luck with the dust issue in your unique situation. Keep us informed. We can all learn.
    Will do.