Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brand New Lenses

Re: Brand New Lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Well, perhaps there is an scarce supply of used shutters, I need two 0 size shutters but I have abandoned the intention of acquiring them.
    Papi, I think you're in the EU, could be mistaken. Wherever you are, you should be able to find used Copal Press #0 shutters at reasonable prices. You have to know what to look for and you have to be prepared for shutters than need CLAs.

eBay.co.uk now has two (2) Shackman 7000 oscilloscope cameras on offer. Each has a Copal Press #0. There's another on ebay.com, if you want to buy from the US.

If you want to buy from the US, look on ebay.com for sirchie cameras as well as for Shackman cameras. I have in hand three Copal Press #0 shutters and one Copal #0 cock-and-shoot shutter extracted from Sirchie mug shot cameras.

Mr. Galli, who almost always know what he's talking about, has told me several times that some oscilloscope cameras (not only Shackman) have Copal Press #0s. I've never met one like that, but I don't look for them often or diligently.

Never buy a mug shot, fingerprint, or oscilloscope camera for its shutter unless the listing shows the shutter clearly and you're sure the shutter is one you want. I've had reasonable luck with 'scope camera Ilex #3s, poor luck with 'scope camera Alphax #3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Shackman 7000 oscilloscope cameras on offer. Each has a Copal Press #0.
    Thanks for pointing that source of shutters, I heard something but was not well aware...

The ones now offered are expensive for me because shipping, I'm near Barcelona, shipping from USA sometimes it's expensive, in this case it is $40 the product, $60 the shipping, as the total amount is over 60€ (IIRC) then there are some $30 in taxes, and some $15 more for the customs' agency work, so some $145 for me, but I'll be looking for offers under total $60 that (IIRC) are not taxed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dibujo.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	174638

Papi, the UK is still in the EU. You don't have to buy from the US.

New Orleans, LA

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Hey Thom

Maybe your guy only has parts for two years but there are many folks around who do repairs on Coplas and how many parts do they have and so on. Plus the many Copals laying around that can be salvaged for parts. Our large format world is small and there is a LOAD of gear out there from the pro days to keep us going for a good while. Just my view

I have perfectly working/running Ilex/Wollensak/Compound/Compur shutters that have been out of production for decades and If needed I could/can still find the parts for repair. It is a bit harder to find some older parts but we're talking Copals here and there are MANY Copals floating around today and many have had little use. Again just my view.
    I know of only two people who work on Copals professionally and the primary one I use told me this. If anyone has parts, they would.

I thought the same thing (that there are lots of Copals laying around that can be salvaged) so maybe the folks who do repairs will do them if we send them a Copal for parts.

I used to worry about having good paper to print on but that issue is solved by making my own (if it comes to that). But I can't make a shutter! At the very least I could turn all my LF gear into pinholes. Or use the old hat trick. There are work-arounds.

Anyway, I hope you are right and that we have plenty of time before the sky completely falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Papi, the UK is still in the EU. You don't have to buy from the US.
    Yes, UK is still straight, but the one in the UK is not as cheap, it is $97 + $11 shipping, total $108,

at that price it would be a better choice a Symmar 80, 100 or 135 to canibalize the shutter...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dibujo.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	174641

Most always, replacement parts are not needed, unless unit is dropped, badly torqued, abused, soaked, corroded, buried in flood/mud/sand, shot with a gun, run over, crushed under rockslide, or if jammed and action is forced... If these are avoided (and a CLA once in a while), parts will not be needed...

Worry about it IF there is an issue...

Shoot, and forget about it (but don't forget a CLA a decade or so)...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
    Older folks are changing to the automatic AF DSLR. But the true photographer is the only one moving into the large format stuff.
    True photographers?

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Yes, UK is still straight, but the one in the UK is not as cheap, it is $97 + $11 shipping, total $108,

at that price it would be a better choice a Symmar 80, 100 or 135 to canibalize the shutter...
    Papi, I don't know where you looked. I just looked again and found https://web.archive.org/web/20180212...S/401491004193 First hit.

Where do you find those Symmars? I just took quick looks on ebay.com and ebay.co.uk and couldn't find any that inexpensive.

I think the concern about shutters working into the next decades is overblown.

I've been fixing shutters for about 50 years.
    Very few of them required "parts".
    Usually just a good CLA with proper lube and they work fine.

And the supply of repair parts is grossly under-estimated.
    I have a large stock of parts for Hasselblad lenses and Compur shutters.

None of the doom-sayers ever inventoried my stock.
    That's likely true for many many other service guys.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Serious Amateur Photographer pepeguitarra's Avatar

Leigh,
    How can I get in contact with you? I have several lenses and all shutters are off. Maybe you can do that CLA to them. Thanks, Pepe.