Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to process 8x10 color negative film in the USA?

Re: Where to process 8x10 color negative film in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herta View Post
    I use the Tetenal C-41 kit in the JOBO. I use the 2830 print drum for 8X10 negatives, and like many others, have not had a problem developing film in this print tank.
    Others may advise the JOBO Expert drum (3005) which is a dedicated film drum.

Great thanks so much! I will probably go this route then. One other question if you don't mind—what do you use to rotate the drum? Do you do it manually?

Drew Wiley

Any roller base of appropriate size should work. Or you just gently roll a drum back and forth in a darkroom sink.

May I ask which East Bay C41 lab you are speaking of? I have used Photolab, Berkeley in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    How recently has anyone used Dickerman's? Those prices sound insane. My East Bay C41 lab lost space, and now can handle on E6 8X10, and C41 just up to 4X5. If I have to mail something, it might as well be to LA. That bridge has gotten to be hell, just like downtown parking. Add another twenty bucks just for that!

Drew Wiley

Photolab only does 35mm and 120 in house. They sent the rest to SF. But now their provider had to relocate and only has space for one dip n dunk machine big enough for 8X10, and decided on E6. The other machine is in storage. This happened just a couple months ago. I used Photolab because it was only 5min from my office, and with their dollar surchage, it still came out to only $7 per sheet for 8x10 processing. I turned down a ton (literally, several tons) of free processing gear from a retired big local lab - no place to put it; and high-volume machines need to be steadily fed. But I don't know if there are even any 8X10 color shooters on this side of the Bay anymore. And I'm increasingly resorting to 4X5 for color because the cost of replacing my 8x10 stash would be triple now.

Drew Wiley

Let me underline that Photolab still handles 4x5 C41, but sent out with about a week turnaround.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Drew Wiley

Yeah, I'm considering the option in San Clemente. Just don't want to thaw any 8x10 color film right now. Have plenty of black and white work to do first.

Citizens Photo in Portland OR. Dedicated Dip and dunk line for C41 and E6 up to 8x10

http://www.citizensphoto.com/processing/
    ~nicholas
    lifeofstawa
    stawastawa at gmail

Quote Originally Posted by formanproject View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Do you use tetanal kits for your C41? Also, which Jobo tank would you reccomend?
    I use the Arista c41 kit from freestyle. It’s one gallon for $70. Pretty good deal.

For E6 I use the Fuji hunt 5L kit for $199. (There are definitely cheaper kits, but I’ve had weird things happen with the 3-bath E6 kit. )

For drums I use the Jobo expert drums (3010 for 4x5 And 3005 for 8x10)

For c41, Once in a while I get some spots on the film where it has stuck to the drum on the backside, and all that means is I need to re-fix for a minute or two in a tray, so I just collect the fixer from the drum in a tray and re-fix the ones that have some blue blotches of silver halide that was not removed from the places where it stuck to the back of the drum. It’s never ruined a negative.

Same goes for E6, but it happens less often with the Fuji hunt kits. But if you get yellow spots on the E6 film you just need to re-bleach for a little while and then re-fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dodge-Chrome in DC area does C41,E-6 and BW up 8x10. https://www.dodgechrome.com/

full disclosure: I work there but not in film processing lab.