Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone fixed a warped rear standard frame?

Re: Anyone fixed a warped rear standard frame?

Thanks again, all.

While I appreciate the opinion that Gibellini should replace the frame for free – I'd be lying if I didn't secretly hope that would be the case, who wouldn't to save money? – I'm realistic about the fact that the camera is out of warranty; that I'm not the original owner and have no idea what the camera has been through. It looks otherwise almost mint, but it does look like it has seen some wet plate work. I plan to send them the camera to them tomorrow, and who knows. Maybe they will take pity on me.

You might be able to get Peaches to sit on your frame and flatten it..
    Peaches is an inmate at a nearby women's prison.
    A pal who taught woodshop there told me about her.
    Peaches is so heavy she murdered another inmate by sitting on her head and suffocating her.
    My pal quite his job there shortly afterwards.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    Thanks again, all.

While I appreciate the opinion that Gibellini should replace the frame for free – I'd be lying if I didn't secretly hope that would be the case, who wouldn't to save money? – I'm realistic about the fact that the camera is out of warranty; that I'm not the original owner and have no idea what the camera has been through. It looks otherwise almost mint, but it does look like it has seen some wet plate work. I plan to send them the camera to them tomorrow, and who knows. Maybe they will take pity on me.
    Tim, new or used a quality camera should not warp. If it does warp, assuming someone didn’t intentially cause the warpage, the camera is grossly defective, incapable of doing what it was designed for.
    There should be no question that a quality conscious, ethical manufacturer would not resolve this issue with no cost to the owner and in a minimal time frame.
    There is no reason for you to be anything other then insistent that this problem be taken care of in your favor!
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 14-Feb-2018 at 13:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim V View Post
    Thanks again, all.

It's too easy to get bad press/reviews these days due to the net, I mean if a business or professional I'm dealing with gets an attitude or difficult to honor a service on me, as a worst case, I politely mention to them that I plan to leave comments online about my experience, and then hear their attitudes change!!! ;-)

We are discussing this topic online right now, right???

Steve K

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Tim, new or used a quality camera should not warp. If it does warp, assuming someone didn’t intentially cause the warpage, the camera is grossly defective, incapable of doing what it was designed for.
    There should be no question that a quality conscious, ethical manufacturer would not resolve this issue with no cost to the owner and in a minimal time frame.
    There i# no reason for you to be anything other then insistent that this problem be taken care of in your favor!
    I agree w/ Bob here.

Even though you did not buy this 8x10 new I'm sure you paid a handsome enough used price for the camera & I assume the camera over all looks newish, right? It just seems like something a builder WOULD want to straighten out for his reputation sake.

It would be different if your Gibellini was bought in poor used condition w/ damage and in general beet up or if it was a camera built 40 years ago showing loads of usage. In those cases Gibellini would then have a leg to stand on.

Seeing how we our a large part of his target audience he loses potential customers being unresponsive and not wanting to stand behind product and fix his cameras build quality issues as/if they arise.

Just my 2ct
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 14-Feb-2018 at 15:08. Reason: make a few changes but still feel the same

my dos pesos again. Seeing as how you bought this camera used and are not the original owner, they shld still send a new replacement back (as Bob noted, well built cameras don't develop warped backs), but shipping is on your dime. If you bought it new, they should cover everything.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Update:

Well, I sent the camera back to Italy in the middle of February. It has been stuck in Italian customs since the 27th of February, 2 months! The courier has stated that Italy Post say one thing one day, another thing the opposite, and are useless to communicate with.

What is certain is that Gibellini filled in all the appropriate paperwork and sent it to customs – in other words they Gibellini did all they could – but Italy Post can't seem to get their act together, even stating all is order and ready to be delivered, then suddenly renegging and asking for more paperwork. It's looking like it'll never reach the factory, which is unfortunate as Alessandro was to not only repair my rear frame but also do some modifications to make the camera easier to both set up and operate.

Richard RItter never replied to my email, so that counted him out. So back to the drawing board, although I'm suspicious that I may never see the camer again. It's insured, but NZ courier won't let me file for a lost package until it's deemed not sitting on a shelf in Italy...

Anyway, I guess this could happen if sending anywhere in the world, not just Italy. Frustrating none the less. Just another pitfall of living in the antipodes...