Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone fixed a warped rear standard frame?

Anyone fixed a warped rear standard frame?

Hi all,

I've discovered that the rear standard frame of my GIbellini AC-D has warped. Short of a: sending it back to Gibellini to refabricate another one, or b: getting someone locally (I'm in NZ) to reverse engineer and manufacture a new frame for me, I'm wondering if other people have had success in fixing something like this?

I'm thinking that I could ask a conservation framer for help – maybe they have experience in fixing heritage frames that are bent, etc. – and maybe they might have some kind of idea how to steam then clamp it back into place, but perhaps other people here have some expereince fixing things like this themselves?

Any advise greatly appreciated as I'm stressing out!

Thanks,

Tim

Re: Anyone fixed a warped rear standard frame?

A local framer or furniture restorer might be a good place to ask. I'm not sure what it looks like, but maybe Gibellini could simply send you the part with clear instructions on how to attach it?

Kumar

The only problems with twist distortions I have had, have been in very large plate holders (12x15 and 12x16") which had been stored incorrectly for decades. I was able to reduce the twist ( over 2" corner to corner) using steam and compression down to about 1/4" which means they can be mounted on the back, without stressing the supports.

This drying-out twist you have, will not respond to treatment. Either the grain selection for the frame is wrong, or the wood was not completely mature enough. If you want certainty, then get hold of some aged, unwanted piece of furniture made with a suitable hard wood. Finding wood suitable for construction at timber yards can be done, but stock is generally quite new and without the diversity of decades ago with "exotic" wood types collecting dust in forgotten corners of the yard!

If it is a metal frame, not wood, then distortion can occur because of metal "creep" or developed internal metal stress. I had an aluminium Ford sump from the 30's which developed a crack from metal creep!
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 11-Feb-2018 at 08:07.

Why don't you just exchange it for a new one at Gibellini? What is simpler than that?

It's a fairly new camera, Gibellini should fix it.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

What am I missing? I thought that Gibillini cameras were a mixture of metal and synthetics. What can warp?

See post #3 - last paragraph.

There is nothing about metals and "plastics" that excludes changes (post- manufacture) especially in a thin frame constructions.

Obviously, the maker should replace this and, perhaps, reconsider this choice of material or production process.

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

The frame is made out of mahogany. It's an earlier model – I think their first model.

I have been in contact with Gibellini but the communication is a little difficult. It's an expensive replacement, It seems, so I was hoping to find a way to fix it on my end. Worst comes to worst, I will try find someone with a CNC machine to make a new one.

As a maker myself, I would look to the fasteners to see if there is an issue with uneven torque (tightening) and if applying a screwdriver or such might fix it.

Best of luck!

Richard Ritter can