Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: procedural question for landscape photographers

procedural question for landscape photographers

"Particularly with the pol filter it makes exact calculation almost impossible, as the exposure correction depends on how much you turn it. "

According to Ansel Adams this is incorrect, the filter factor remains the same regardless of the amount of polarized light.

"Because of the change in values as the polarizer is rotated photographers frequently assume the exposure factor must be increased as the degree of polarization increases. This is not the case. When used at the nonpolarizing angle the polarizer acts as a neutral density filter with a factor of about 2.5; at maximum polarizaiont the same factor applies. If we increased the factor as the deggree of polarization increase the non-polarized areas would be overexposed. The same factor applies regardless of the film or the light source." Adams, "The Negative," p. 114.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Yee, haw! I'm not the only one who quotes Ansel Adams! :-)

You can verify the effects of the polarizer just by looking at things which aren't affected by polarization, such as just about anything that isn't the sky. Their light values don't change as you turn the polarizer, thus exposure stays constant.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

It really depends on how much potential I feel the scene has.

Although I agree that the process of taking the image is as important as the final result, I am not yet enlightened enough to not care about the outcome. I do feel, contrary to what other said, that the need to have a correct final image helps me getting things right.

Whether I shoot 1, 2 or 3 exposures depends on:

- how much I want the image to come out perfectly. For me also, time and the cost of travelling and organizing trips is more significant that the cost of an additional sheet. Besides, since I shoot landscape, I always come accross scenes that I will probably NEVER have the chance to shoot again in the exact same light, season and weather conditions,

- how changing the light is,

- whether I focus closer than infinity or not and use grad density filters. I find it hard to compute exactly the additional exposure needed as a result from bellow extension and filters.

Now, I guess that it would be more efficient to shoot the exposures at the same settings, and then to play with the developement, but since I do not develop myself, I do also find it too time consuming to request development twice. The need to keep track of what images are duplicates of each other is also something that I find bothersome when shooting landscape in the field.

Therefore, I tend to shoot the different exposures at different settings (often varying the apertures +/- 0.7 stop).

I am still very new to LF, and might change my way of proceeding in the coming months, but this works for me now.

Regards,
    Bernard