Thread: Looking for solution to fix a lens flange that is too big for a normal Sinar board...

Looking for solution to fix a lens flange that is too big for a normal Sinar board...

Hi all,

Recently acquired an Nikon APO 610mm lens for my Sinar P2 8x10 camera system, but the flange is slightly to big to be affixed to a Sinar lens board...

How do people get around this problem? DIY or professional work around solutions welcome...

I think I remember once seeing a response to a thread on here about someone who made adaptors to specifically help larger lenses fit on smaller, standard lens board...

Thank you all

Nathan

Re: Looking for solution to fix a lens flange that is too big for a normal Sinar boar

Shave off the parts of the circular flange that interfere with the board's clearances. An alternative is to build an oversized extension box. I'm sure some of our DIY mavens can post examples.

Re: Looking for solution to fix a lens flange that is too big for a normal Sinar boar

Create a stepped board where there is a slight extension with a spacer and thickness that allows normal mounting/operating on the Sinar FS and board, but a larger oversize board over it that the flange can mount on...

Steve K

If the flange does not fit, don't use the flange. Mount the lens with a ring.

It will need a standoff adapter plate. I have mine on an 8" Dearforff board. The hole has to be 4.5" and the flange bolts are on a 5.5" diameter.

A Sinar board is 5.5" sguare.

A great lens and lightweight for its size. I love the flapper lens cap.

I shoot mine with a Packard shutter inside the camera. But a Sinar shutter could be used especialy with the room you will gain with an adapter.

I know Ken Lee adapted one for a Sinar, his shots are why I bought mine.

I've run into this problem with other lenses. Here is a digi-snap of a lens chuck that I had S.K. Grimes mount for me to a Sinar lensboard. The frame of the lens chuck was too big to allow the lensboard retaining hardware to operate. The issue was solved by "lifting" the lens chuck off the lensboard with a piece of approx. 1/8" Delrin between the lensboard and the lens chuck. That created a rebate behind the lens chuck where the slider could operate. It also created clearance for the "ears" of the lens chuck which would otherwise interfere with the camera. I hope the photos depict it clearly. The second image shows the cutaway (rebate) more closely.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lenschuck_sinar_1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	174512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lenschuck_sinar_3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	174513