Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Fomalux Contact Papers

Re: Fomalux Contact Papers

This is an old thread, much older than when I started to contact print. It began as eliciting opinions on Fomalux, which I have used and compare to the other paper I have used for contacting (Kentmere Bromide FB #2, at ISO 250). I use Fomalux 111 Sp, FB DW glossy, described by Foma as "...silver chloride emulsion used, the paper is designed primarily for contact work...." My own opinion is that I very much prefer the Fomalux to the Kentmere silver bromide in every way for contacting.

The thread shortly became melee concerning Azo, not the subject of the thread. To to come back around to the original subject, has Mr. Smith used and commented on Fomalux as he attested that he would? I.e.: "I will be trying Fomalux myself, but I did receive one email that stated: 'The paper sucks and is not even a close replacement for Azo.' I well know, working as I am now on getting an Azo replacement made, that just because a paper is silver chloride does not make it a good paper." [Not sure what the second half of the first sentence, nor the entire second sentence have to do with things.]

So, what about Mr. Smith's test results? Am I using a readily-available, second-rate paper (Fomalux) and too much of a neophyte to know any better?

N.B. I'm aware that this whole thing is in the wrong sub-forum.
    Last edited by fishrdnc; 20-Apr-2012 at 05:39. Reason: Sp.

Quote Originally Posted by fishrdnc View Post
    This is an old thread, much older than when I started to contact print. It began as eliciting opinions on Fomalux, which I have used and compare to the other paper I have used for contacting (Kentmere Bromide FB #2, at ISO 250). I use Fomalux 111 Sp, FB DW glossy, described by Foma as "...silver chloride emulsion used, the paper is designed primarily for contact work...." My own opinion is that I very much prefer the Fomalux to the Kentmere silver bromide in every way for contacting.

The thread shortly became melee concerning Azo, not the subject of the thread. To to come back around to the original subject, has Mr. Smith used and commented on Fomalux as he attested that he would? I.e.: "I will be trying Fomalux myself, but I did receive one email that stated: 'The paper sucks and is not even a close replacement for Azo.' I well know, working as I am now on getting an Azo replacement made, that just because a paper is silver chloride does not make it a good paper." [Not sure what the second half of the first sentence, nor the entire second sentence have to do with things.]

So, what about Mr. Smith's test results? Am I using a readily-available, second-rate paper (Fomalux) and too much of a neophyte to know any better?

N.B. I'm aware that this whole thing is in the wrong sub-forum.
    Do you like your results?
    Thats what really matters, doesn't it?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

yup, I really do. That's why its a little harder to jump too many times to something else that may or not be "better." It would be nice to have be some concensus in the body of knowledge. Trouble is, tastes are different. I did play with a couple of pieces of choloro-bromide (Emaks K-888) but couldn't get past the the base color that I didn't like - not a "better" for me. For sure though, the silver chloride is a different looking animal than silver bromide, a difference that I immediately liked.