Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Linhof - which one to buy?

Re: Linhof - which one to buy?

I still prefer a Crown Graphic with a top rangefinder (Not the all metal Super Duper final model) for handheld "Press" type work. I never change the 135mm Xenar, RF is great. I have a lowly Linhof "Color" 4x5 viewcamera from the 60's that I use to play around with in my studio room. The binocular reflex viewer is cool. I have tried two times to fall in love with the Technika, beautiful in every way but weight. If I won the lottery I would fly to Munich and order two of everything Linhof could make for me Best Regards, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    I still prefer a Crown Graphic with a top rangefinder (Not the all metal Super Duper final model) for handheld "Press" type work. I never change the 135mm Xenar, RF is great. I have a lowly Linhof "Color" 4x5 viewcamera from the 60's that I use to play around with in my studio room. The binocular reflex viewer is cool. I have tried two times to fall in love with the Technika, beautiful in every way but weight. If I won the lottery I would fly to Munich and order two of everything Linhof could make for me Best Regards, Mike
    Glad you like the binocular reflex viewer but Linhof only made a monocular one. They did, for a while, offer an adapter to mount the Sinar binocular viewer but the whole combination was very clumsy. So it was discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Glad you like the binocular reflex viewer but Linhof only made a monocular one. They did, for a while, offer an adapter to mount the Sinar binocular viewer but the whole combination was very clumsy. So it was discontinued.
    Yes I agree the Sinar Binocular reflex viewer is bulky. That being said, for the longest time used an adapted Arca-Swiss monocular viewer on my Sinar until I borrowed a Sinar Binocular reflex viewer... Bought one ASAP and never looked back. I even looked into getting a custom one made for my Whole Plate Chamonix by a local fabricator, but cost quote was way north of a couple of hundred dollars, so shelved the idea. The Sinar Binocular reflex viewer I deem so important to my composing on the GG, that I put up with its bulkiness.

Between here and there

I think the OP has posted over on what was formerly known as APUG - and when being prodded with a small stick, admitted that he is looking for a field camera.

Wow, thanks for all the info and advice. I AM looking for a field camera. I have owned a Deardorff, a Toyo 45, a Rittreck, several Graflexes, a couple Wisners, a 1920s Ansco and others.
    I have never owned a Linhof and want to try one. Oh and I just got a Chamonix 45.
    I shoot mostly people and places. Not a whole lot of landscapes, but a few.
    Thanks again
    J

Why not try a Sinar Norma, or other Sinar?
    To get a real sense of what a Sinar Norma is like, it must be in prime condition, not a wore out, lubricant dried out, Ill-adjusted beater.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by durr3 View Post
    I have never owned a Linhof and want to try one. Oh and I just got a Chamonix 45.
    I shoot mostly people and places. Not a whole lot of landscapes, but a few.
    Thanks again
    J

I bought a Technikardan specifically for architecture. It handles wide angle lenses very well - I have used a 58mm lens without a recessed board. It has a bag bellows as a changeable bellows which allows for a great deal of front and rear movements. In architectural and in landscape I use front rise a lot. There are no provisions for rangefinder focus and framing - all work in done on the ground glass. I currently use lenses from 75mm to 450mm on this camera. You need to think of which camera provides you with the qualities of what you want to do. Also you should access the camera and see if you like the way they operate and feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    ...what was formerly known as APUG...
    It's now PHOTRIO. Why not use the correct name?

Between here and there

Of course I could do that, Sal, but then I would have to wash my mouth with soap.

Just kidding, of course. I am a bit set in my ways, that's all. I am still using the apug.org as a shortcut in the few cases I need to access the site.
    Last edited by Jimi; 10-Feb-2018 at 13:19. Reason: Clarification

In my small world, a Field Camera folds in upon itself for compact portability. No rail sticking out to make schlepping a hassle.

A better Field Camera folds in and completely covers the works, including the lens into a shell. The Linhof Super-Technika does that, provided the lens allows folding up. My model V with a 135mm Planar folds securely shut. I'm happy.