Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linhof - which one to buy?

Re: Linhof - which one to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    Bob will blow a gasket..but I love the tech III... it's smaller, cheaper and even though parts are not available.. buy one that works..they are built like a tank and unless you dropkick it off a cliff..it will outlive you

of course I never use the rangefinder - so matching cams are not an issue
    I agree and live it!!! :-)

An early older camera has no plastic parts to break (metal on metal sliding parts), but some downsides...

First, the older cameras will need a new set of bellows sooner or later, but not super expensive for bels/installation, and then a non-issue for many years to come...

The later cameras have provisions for more lens and other options, but the basic options should be most all you need...

Earlier cameras have provisions for different movements, but was improved over the years, so the movements available are (mostly) there, but the range is limited (but slightly expanded over the years)...

Specialized Linhof parts are expensive, but can usually be found used for more/less affordable $$$, so you find what you need...

But a big thing to remember is that this type of camera has basically evolved from a press camera (with movements added), but if a beginner did not learn from a full movement monorail or some other type, you can't just try this or that movement without knowing exactly what you are trying to do, as the movement settings are not plainly visibly/operative (unless you know what movement is needed, and know the "secret" of how to set them), so not a camera type for beginners...

There's also good offerings from Horseman/Toyo/Wista etc and more, so there are choices beyond, but the Tek is tough as a tank, and doesn't notice hard use at all...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I agree and live it!!! :-)

An early older camera has no plastic parts to break (metal on metal sliding parts), but some downsides...

First, the older cameras will need a new set of bellows sooner or later, but not super expensive for bels/installation, and then a non-issue for many years to come...

The later cameras have provisions for more lens and other options, but the basic options should be most all you need...

Earlier cameras have provisions for different movements, but was improved over the years, so the movements available are (mostly) there, but the range is limited (but slightly expanded over the years)...

Specialized Linhof parts are expensive, but can usually be found used for more/less affordable $$$, so you find what you need...

But a big thing to remember is that this type of camera has basically evolved from a press camera (with movements added), but if a beginner did not learn from a full movement monorail or some other type, you can't just try this or that movement without knowing exactly what you are trying to do, as the movement settings are not plainly visibly/operative (unless you know what movement is needed, and know the "secret" of how to set them), so not a camera type for beginners...

There's also good offerings from Horseman/Toyo/Wista etc and more, so there are choices beyond, but the Tek is tough as a tank, and doesn't notice hard use at all...

Steve K
    Steve, the Technika did not evolve from a press camera. Valentin Linhof and Nicholas Karpf developed the first all metal camera with a swing back and that is what was the basis of the Technika.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    ... the Technika did not evolve from a press camera. Valentin Linhof and Nicholas Karpf developed the first all metal camera with a swing back and that is what was the basis of the Technika.
    Bingo - a historical marker, a milestone regarding the development of the Technika! Thanks, Bob.

Aside to an earlier post denigrating the use of the rangefinder (RF) in the Super Technika, I submit that the RF in any case offers a good starting point and I know that a lot of large format people use none to little perspective controls. (This opens the occasion for the 1% real perspective controllers to protest but be drowned out by the keyboard artists.)

Steve, the Technika did not evolve from a press camera. Valentin Linhof and Nicholas Karpf developed the first all metal camera with a swing back and that is what was the basis of the Technika.
    If you look at pre-war Linhofs, you see that they were based on Euro cameras of the era (thin alum bodies with leather coverings) and standard Euro press cameras were much different than our American based Graflex designs, but post-war (with all the occupation GIs and journalists around), they had to notice the design of these that were easy to use handheld, had provisions to change lenses, but also use some movements when on a tripod (when needed), and you see the great effort they made to first build an RF system that would mate to different FL's, big grip, and an much improved VF that would appeal to press photographers, but could expand to a "technical" (Technika???) configuration...

But I think the resemblance to a Graphic is no coincidence...

My guess, of course...

Cheers,

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    If you look at pre-war Linhofs, you see that they were based on Euro cameras of the era (thin alum bodies with leather coverings) and standard Euro press cameras were much different than our American based Graflex designs, but post-war (with all the occupation GIs and journalists around), they had to notice the design of these that were easy to use handheld, had provisions to change lenses, but also use some movements when on a tripod (when needed), and you see the great effort they made to first build an RF system that would mate to different FL's, big grip, and an much improved VF that would appeal to press photographers, but could expand to a "technical" (Technika???) configuration...

But I think the resemblance to a Graphic is no coincidence...

My guess, of course...

Cheers,

Steve K
    Go to the Linhof site and see what they say about the origins. And look at a copy of The Linhof Camera Story book for a definitive history.

Then go look at the Linhof Medcin series of cameras that were made before the end of the war and you will see that the post war Technika did not evolve from Graflex cameras at all.
    It was not until after WW II that Linhof made the Technika Standard, a press camera, for the US market. That was well into the 50s.

With regards to press cameras with movements, I think the end of them is clear as evinced by the failure of the economical Printex 4x5 with rangefinder. It was certainly not the lack of perspective controls that put it away, but due to the more economical smaller, then 'miniature' formats which was when I entered the press photo field.

For the market, a lot of consumers purchase thinking they will use advertised features, perspective controls for example. It bolsters their self opinion, then they never use the features - kinda like home computers today.

Google printex 4x5 camera

I have a lot of them in storage.

Go to the Linhof site and see what they say about the origins. And look at a copy of The Linhof Camera Story book for a definitive history.

Then go look at the Linhof Medcin series of cameras that were made before the end of the war and you will see that the post war Technika did not evolve from Graflex cameras at all.
    It was not until after WW II that Linhof made the Technika Standard, a press camera, for the US market. That was well into the 50s.
    I'll check that out, should be very interesting...

But my early III is from (?) '51 or '52, and has all the features a press photographer could want (except weight), so I'm thinking that was about a normal product development cycle, and aimed to a specific market, so makes sense to me...

And certainly tough enough after seeing all of those Graphics that survived the war, and still shooting, they made these "bulletproof"...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    With regards to press cameras with movements, I think the end of them is clear as evinced by the failure of the economical Printex 4x5 with rangefinder. It was certainly not the lack of perspective controls that put it away, but due to the more economical smaller, then 'miniature' formats which was when I entered the press photo field.

For the market, a lot of consumers purchase thinking they will use advertised features, perspective controls for example. It bolsters their self opinion, then they never use the features - kinda like home computers today.

Google printex 4x5 camera

I have a lot of them in storage.
    The Printex is from the immediate post war period. Press cameras were going well after that. Witness the picture of Jackie Robinson stealing home or all those ringside photographers into the 60s or Daily News photographers into the 60s. In fact my brother and I were pictured on the front page of the Daily News standing over the body of a murderer on Long Ridge Rd in Stamford. That picture was taken with a press camera also.

The Printex is from the immediate post war period. Press cameras were going well after that. Witness the picture of Jackie Robinson stealing home or all those ringside photographers into the 60s or Daily News photographers into the 60s. In fact my brother and I were pictured on the front page of the Daily News standing over the body of a murderer on Long Ridge Rd in Stamford. That picture was taken with a press camera also.
    Did the photographer use perspective movements? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Did the photographer use perspective movements? I think not.
    It was late at night, hand held, freezing cold, deep in snow and only a flash was used.