Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
Bob will blow a gasket..but I love the tech III... it's smaller, cheaper and even though parts are not available.. buy one that works..they are built like a tank and unless you dropkick it off a cliff..it will outlive you

of course I never use the rangefinder - so matching cams are not an issue
I agree and live it!!! :-)

An early older camera has no plastic parts to break (metal on metal sliding parts), but some downsides...

First, the older cameras will need a new set of bellows sooner or later, but not super expensive for bels/installation, and then a non-issue for many years to come...

The later cameras have provisions for more lens and other options, but the basic options should be most all you need...

Earlier cameras have provisions for different movements, but was improved over the years, so the movements available are (mostly) there, but the range is limited (but slightly expanded over the years)...

Specialized Linhof parts are expensive, but can usually be found used for more/less affordable $$$, so you find what you need...

But a big thing to remember is that this type of camera has basically evolved from a press camera (with movements added), but if a beginner did not learn from a full movement monorail or some other type, you can't just try this or that movement without knowing exactly what you are trying to do, as the movement settings are not plainly visibly/operative (unless you know what movement is needed, and know the "secret" of how to set them), so not a camera type for beginners...

There's also good offerings from Horseman/Toyo/Wista etc and more, so there are choices beyond, but the Tek is tough as a tank, and doesn't notice hard use at all...

Steve K