Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linhof - which one to buy?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Linhof - which one to buy?

I want to find a nice Linhof 4x5, but do not know which model to search for. Anybody have experience with them?
    Which model, which lenses, etc.
    Thanks

Re: Linhof - which one to buy?

Have you tried Linhof website?

Is money no object?

Money is always an object. It is directly related to quantity and quality.

Availability of replacement/spare parts I think the major deciding point. Years ago once bought a circa 1950s 5x7 Linhof that was in mint condition but missing one part that made it unusable (as it was). OEM Linhof replacement part was unavailable and price for fabrication of a replacement part more than what I paid for the camera. Ended up selling the camera as a "parts camera". Maybe Bob could address as to the availability of OEM Linhof parts?

Buy the newest model you can afford.
    All are good. Newer models have some features the older models do not.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Buy the newest model you can afford.
    All are good. Newer models have some features the older models do not.

Willie gives good advice. I have been using (second owner) a Master Technika Classic model that was made in the mid-80s for several years now, and believe it has most of the movements and features that one needs for landscape work in the field. It has proved rugged and reliable, and sets up and takes down pretty quickly once you get used to handling it. As for lens choices, there are a variety of threads on this Forum with comments and guidance for preferred 1, 2, 3, or more lens line-ups (based on focal lengths) that may help you, and there are some helpful reviews under the "Lenses" section of the LF Forum. In addition to your Post #4 with its observation about price/quality, there are various other considerations for any given focal length such as their weight (for those who will backpack), image circle (to allow generous movements if you'll need), glass element coatings (multi- or none) and other design characteristics. I think it makes sense to try to avoid repeat purchases within any given focal length range(s) you decide to include in your kit, or line-up, so advise you to take your time and do careful research here on this Forum to make your choices. I've studied, and mostly followed, the "Future Classics" or "Good" lens listings for 4x5 at http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/future.htm AND http://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blog...x5-view-camera. Enjoy...
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    Willie gives good advice. I have been using (second owner) a Master Technika Classic model that was made in the mid-80s for several years now, and believe it has most of the movements and features that one needs for landscape work in the field. It has proved rugged and reliable, and sets up and takes down pretty quickly once you get used to handling it. As for lens choices, there are a variety of threads on this Forum with comments and guidance for preferred 1, 2, 3, or more lens line-ups (based on focal lengths) that may help you, and there are some helpful reviews under the "Lenses" section of the LF Forum. In addition to your Post #4 with its observation about price/quality, there are various other considerations for any given focal length such as their weight (for those who will backpack), image circle (to allow generous movements if you'll need), glass element coatings (multi- or none) and other design characteristics. I think it makes sense to try to avoid repeat purchases within any given focal length range(s) you decide to include in your kit, or line-up, so advise you to take your time and do careful research here on this Forum to make your choices. I've studied, and mostly followed, the "Future Classics" or "Good" lens listings for 4x5 at http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/future.htm AND http://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blog...x5-view-camera. Enjoy...
    This is pretty good advice, but it leaves out the most important things to consider:
    1: do you want or need to work with a rangefinder? If so, you can’t beat the Master Technika, now named Master Technika Classic. Just be aware, lenses from 65mm to 360 can have cams cut for the rangefinder and the rf will not work with camera movements.
    2: is extreme WA desired? Then you forgo the rf feature and go with the Master Technika 2000 or its replacement the 3000.

I waited until Bob Solomon contributed. Read his suggestions twice. It's good stuff.

I add that a Super Technika V can be a very good buy, depending upon condition, of course. If you plan to use the rangefinder, then personally I would not buy any earlier than a V. Read up on what lenses and cams are compatible (not so many) and how to contract compatible cams to be made.

If you are NOT planning to use the rangefinder, then IMHO the huge advantage of a Super Technika is lost and you may just as well get a much less expensive 'clam shell' field camera.

It will put pricing matters into better perspective to go to EBay "Advanced" to see the sheer numbers of Linhof cameras offered for sale, versus the ones that actually sell and what they sold for.