Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5 x 8.5 cameras/negatives---who has???

6.5 x 8.5 cameras/negatives---who has???

Who has a 6.5 x 8.5 field camera? I have one, an Scovill Albion Field camera (1880's-90's) with its original Rochester Victor lens- which I have restored and use on occasion---however, I have had to make the following adjustments/alterations. 1. Since film of this size (Ilford) is a rarity & costly, I have resorted to using 5x7 film inserts (Rochester) in the original film holders---hence my negatives are 5x7 Ilford film. 2. Since Scovill 6.5 x 8.5 film holders are also a very rare commodity, (I have yet to see any on Ebay), I have had to resort to using Rochester 6.5 x 8.5 film holders which a woodsmith has had to slightly alter to accommodate the Scovill camera---There are some issues holding the Rochester film holders in place against the Scovill camera--some issues with the camera set at horizontal or vertical, however, I have managed to circumvent these minor issues.

I am still in the testing stages regarding the original lens---to use or not. I only have 2 Rochester film holders (4 sheets of film total), so testing is a long process.

As an alternative, I have made a lens board, and could use another lens besides the Rochester Victor lens--a modern Ilex 152mm which has produced good negatives on a 4x5 camera. I have as yet not determined which way to go regarding lenses, but since I only have 4 sheets of film, perhaps I should be using a trusted modern lens as compared to the Victor lens itself. Your thoughts?

So who is using this sized film camera/s? and your situation.

Raymond

Re: 6.5 x 8.5 cameras/negatives---who has???

Bought a japanese whole plate camera that came with 3 backs. Richard Ritter made me a back that works with the Chamonix holders and I bought FP4 during the Ilford special order for film. Actually quite a simple process!
    Best, Peter

Dave Karp

I have a WP Improved Seneca. Years ago, Jim from Western Bellows made a new bellows for it. I have a variety of holders that are built to the Eastman "standard." I too purchase WP film during the Ilford special order period. I also own an ARCA Swiss monorail. I had a WP back built for it and Custom Bellows made a bellows that reduces to the ARCA 171 front standard. This one camera with three different back/bellows combinations gives me a 4x5, a 5x7, and a WP camera.

I've had several, but what I kept was a whole bunch of film holders, 19 last count, and I have 2 backs that size, one fits my venerable Kodak 2D 8X10 and one fits the Century Studio #10 upstairs.

What I like about the size is that I have some rolls of aerial recon Panatomic X that I love, and when I cut that off the long roll, if I make 8X10 there's more wasted than if I cut it at 6.5 and then make a little cut to get me to the 8.5 Been shooting a lot of it lately. 6.5X8.5 is an elegant size for contact prints.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img336s.jpg   img348s.jpg   img341s.jpg  

Toyo field half plate camera with a whole plate extension back and Toyo whole plate film holders. Ilford whole plate film (HP5) is a bit on the long side so I have some issues with the Toyo whole plate film holders.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    I've had several, . . .
    My Seneca was one of them! :-)

Thanks Jim! I really like the WP format. I agree, the size makes for a nice contact print.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    My Seneca was one of them! :-)

Thanks Jim! I really like the WP format. I agree, the size makes for a nice contact print.
    I couldn't remember if the black beauty was full plate or 5X7 :~'))

Dave Karp

You later sold me a 5x7 back for it too!

Whole Plate Gandolfi Universal here (and a 275mm Eidoscope on the way.) 6 holders. 2 Kodak GB holders, which are very nice and 4 scruffy Eastman holders. I have a couple boxes of 400TMY 6 1/2 x 8 1/2, but I see myself cutting down 8x10 film in future.

I have two WP cameras, one of them is an Ebony one bought here and the other is a Chamonix. A few hundred sheets of expired film. Love this format for portrait with a Lanthar 30cm lens. Put the print on an 11x14 mat, just lovely to look at in your hands.