Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpack/case for carrying a 4x5 Sinar Norma (mini) system?

Backpack/case for carrying a 4x5 Sinar Norma (mini) system?

Am looking too use my 4x5 Sinar Norma in the woods here in New England to start a photo project that I have wanted to do for years. Want to carry the following: 4x5 Norma, Sinar binocular (preferred choice) or adapted Cambo reflex finder, 3 lenses max, tripod, holders, meter, and misc. other smaller items. Will mostly be hiking on 4th class trails with a fair amount of bushwhacking to get to my destinations.

Now Minor White, Fred Picker, and many others have used their Sinar Norma's in the field... I wonder how they had transported their equipment... or maybe they just worked not all that far from their vehicles? Anyone have any insight into this?

The easiest part has been to find a lightweight tripod: Oben CT-3535 Folding Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod with BE-208T Ball Head per posted recommendation of Kenneth Morris Lee on his website. weight the center column down and works fine. Caring my Miller wooden tripod over my shoulder, not an option. Strapped vertically to my backpack, when bushwhacking takes only minutes for it to hang up on a tree limb that I bent over to avoid.

I have a vintage smallish Sinar Norma hard case that the 4x5 Norma fits into (hanging upside down) but when strapping it onto the packframe that I have, rides way too high and throws me off balance.

thanks for any recommendations in advance...

Small town, South Carolina, US

Re: Backpack/case for carrying a 4x5 Sinar Norma (mini) system?

How about a military surplus ALICE packframe? I have one and plan to use it for my Sinar F2 but haven't put the two together yet. The frame is not very expensive.
    It is possible to rig up a shelf lower down on the frame and strap the case to the frame.

I made a case similar to a Sinar case but out of cardboard covered with contact paper. It is much lighter than the Sinar cases. Great for for storing it and for light use in the field.

Just some ideas.

Drew Wiley

I use a classic Calif made lg Kelty external frame pack vintage early 70's. Some of these turn up almost unused on EBay etc. It happens that there is a size of Rubbermaid kitchen waste basket that drops right into the top compartment. The Norma easily fit in there well protected, with room to spare. There are side pouches for lenses etc, and an ample bottom compartment for food, coat etc. I've hiked well over 10,000 mi in the mtns with Sinar gear and also have a phD in Bushwhacking.

I carry my Norma in a 25 year old Tamrac case/bag that converts into a backpack. The pack straps tuck away when in ordinary use. Real backpackers sneer at that sort of kit, and I can see their point. But it has served me well on two continents and isn't done yet. I probably haven't done more than 5-6 miles in a day with it, but that's just over-40 me. (Of course I can't remember the model number.) I carry the tripod over my shoulder, and do not use a reflex housing, so my experience may not be applicable; but a Sinar Norma in the woods is certainly not impractical.

Drew Wiley

If I'm using a wooden Ries tripod, I just bunji cord it to the back. If it's a carbon fiber tripod I just tuck it under the top flap sideways. To get a phD in Bushwhacking, and not just a Masters degree, you have to enjoy getting thru brush tangles with the tall wooden tripod.

...and...rfesk, if you want to use an F2 in the field, find a Norma rail clamp rather than use the F-style one. Just as functional and a lot more compact. BTDT.

Small town, South Carolina, US

I agree. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    ...and...rfesk, if you want to use an F2 in the field, find a Norma rail clamp rather than use the F-style one. Just as functional and a lot more compact. BTDT.

There must be a good product dedicated to photograp;hy that will meet your needs.

In the meantime: Consider making the rounds of thrift shops and Good Will stores for luggage and bags. Something there will turn up with some or most of the characteristics you need . . .at a price that will let you experiment.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

The Norma 4x5 near walks alone.

Y use any hiking bag, I was using a plastic box for the lenses and another tuperware like box for the Norma. Just cut holes in foam blocks to fit lenses and the Norma, then you can even play soccer with the bag if you want.

I would not carry the binocular for hiking...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ___DSC_0570.jpg  

Sinar binocular (preferred choice) or adapted Cambo reflex finder
    I'll be very curious just how many cubes a reflex finder takes up in your pack--I've been kicking around the idea of going the LF route for my work down here in the Smokies, but one thing that's been holding me back is just how seldom the terrain lets you belly-up to an eye-level GG. (My Pentax 67 with chimney finder usually finds me perched up on boulders or dead-falls in precarious fashion.)