Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Color Carbon Printing Service business... A new trend ?

Drew Wiley

Re: New Color Carbon Printing Service business... A new trend ?

Maybe in a tiny field like this you might be lucky to meet someone from China with similar cottage-industry interests. But most small businessmen I know ended up taking over two dozen trips attempting to find niche contientious mfg. With big outfits it's an entirely different game - low bidder and a predictable tier-based bribe structure both ways. But I doubt we'll be facing competition from Walmart etc for carbon prints. The logistics can be otherwise daunting. But "cheap labor" isn't as cheap as it used to be, and you might not like the probability of an almost non-existent regulatory system exposing workers to nasty chromium compounds.

I think Drew and Pere should visit and form a printing company... holy moly what a combination

Drew Wiley

I happen to have a lot of serious connections with China, Bob - which is exactly why I wouldn't want to do business there! The business school of the University of Beijing is actually run as an adjunct of Calif. State University Hayward, very close to your gig Tonite, by a close friend of ours. My wife studied at Beijing University a year, as part of her own UCB program - the first of, alas, three degrees. There was also a PBS documentary a couple months ago featuring my first agent, who specialized in bringing Chinese modernist painters to US museums, but in these latter years has been studying traditional Chinese architectural techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I think Drew and Pere should visit and form a printing company... holy moly what a combination

Bob, speaking on me, I think I woudn't earn a living, I'm a terribly bad printer, just a learner, but a really bad one wasting bare RC paper... if you hired me you would be closing in two weeks...

If one day you want to close, you just can hire me to destroy your reputation

Also I woudn't like to destroy Drew's life !!!

Drew Wiley

C'mon, Pere. I almost destroyed Bob's life just making forum comments. There's no need to go to Canada to do it!

Well, while I'm a learner/newcomer to LF, I've been reading a lot of past discussions where you both debate interesting issues that are not easy to find around, arising really interesting points of view. This is a good source !!!

And, Drew, I'm confident that Bob has you in high esteem. Always complaining, but thats's rethoric

I like you both, I just want to get out of the conversations before the horse is 10 posts dead....

I like the fact that Drew has a handle on contrast masking which is a difficult subject... but most importantly I love Drew because he is Big foots best buddy.

Pere you have a healthy knowledge on some of the more technical sides of what we do and I read some but not all of your posts... read first line.

Drew Wiley

Well, Bob, I still have my teeth, so haven't had to gum anything yet. But hopefully you'll send some samples of that our way too one day. There was a nice turnout, mostly members of Photo Central I suspect. But was a little surprised that it seemed like 50% a sales presentation for stitching cameras. That whole field stuns me, why anyone would go to all that effort to simulate what can be done with a single shutter click on LF film; but if that's what they enjoy, more power to em. The prints were clean n crisp, as evidence of your lab skills. I don't know if Bigfoot would hold still long enough for a stitched portrait session, but he's due to teach a carbon workshop there in a month or so. Carissa can verify that I actually exist and bear no personal resemblance to Bigfoot.

I find the stitching and focus stacking capabilities of Phase Cameras to be un paralleled. Not sure if you saw the Indian Rd series form Windsor in his presentation, but we are going to make a 60 inch by 150 inch print which IMHO does indeed match 8 x10 capabilities.. Thanks for coming out and proving once and for all that you are a real person.. Carissa did meet you which is great.

Drew Wiley

Yes, I looked at em all, n understand the technical pros and cons per depth of field mgt etc. But didn't see anything that hasn't been done even sharper with even optimized 4x5 n enlarging. 5x7 would give the longer rectangle. The hues were a tad oversaturated for my taste, but that's the kind of thing best decided by the photographer-client, since it's his work. I've been around the block a few times, and frankly, might find myself in a contact printing mood soon.