Thread: ID this Collar / Ring / Spacer thing please?

ID this Collar / Ring / Spacer thing please?

Hi Everyone

First post but I hope you can all help. I purchased a 300mm F6.3 Komura lens mounted on a Copal 1 shutter in a Technica board. The ring which held the shutter in the board was not a standard item and looked to be something the seller had lying around. However the good news is it is a perfect spacer for me to mount it in an adapted Horseman VH board. The question is does anyone know what it is and more to the point where I could get another one as I have another Copal 1 shutter lens to mount in another board. Its a stepped ring with the correct thread for a Copal 1. There are no other threads. There are 4 very small (1.5mm - 2mm) holes in the outer ring. The only text says 'C-1' and 'Made in Japan'. An extensive Google brought up nothing. Pictures attached. Please ignore the aluminium as I have removed the black paint.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180203_154032.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	174410

Name:	20180203_154042.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	174411

Name:	20180203_154051.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	174412

Much appreciated for all your help and thanks in advance

APA

Re: ID this Collar / Ring / Spacer thing please?

Not to be a complete idiot or anything, but why won't a normal ordinary #1 retaining ring do for holding your second Copal #1 to a board? What am I missing?

This is a flange, not a retaining ring. A flange is permanently attached to the lens board with screws. These flanges were very commonly used by Japanese photographers. The flanges are generally marked C-0, C-1 or C-3 for Copal shutters, or S-0 and S-1 for Seiko shutters. Note that C-3 usually means the smaller Copal 3S shutter. Most flanges are flat, but the Horseman boards are small, and this kind of "top-hat" flange allows the shutter controls to be used more easily. Horseman also made lens boards incorporating these flanges.

Kumar

Dan, kumar has it in one. This spacer was used as a ring by the previous owner. I've moved it from the back to the front to act as it should as a spacer to move the controls away from the front standard of the horseman. Thank you Kumar.

Now the big question is where can I get one or similar? Nothing is coming up in searches. Are they THAT rare? Is it a case of waiting patiently on ebay?

Cheers

Apa

These flanges are generally found on Horseman 80mm boards. The later versions of the boards had them integrated, so they can't be separated.

Kumar

Kumar, apa, thanks for explaining what I missed.

I don't think this is a genuine Horseman spacer but I know the ones you mean - have you seen the price of those things!! However I think I have an alternative solution for the other lens.

Thanks for the info - it's cleared a lot up.

APA

I had an old 400mm Komura that has been laying around unused for years. I just removed the shutter for other purposes and have one of these things that I don't know what to do with. It's yours if you want it. PM your address and I'll send it out to you. I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but it's worth a shot