Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: What finish did Deardorff use in the 50s-60s?

Re: What finish did Deardorff use in the 50s-60s?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    the stuff I use comes in a little pump bottle.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gibson-pump-polish-for-guitars-banjos-mandolins/420150000000000?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_rWbgIqh2QIVHJ7ACh2r6QXwEAQYASABEgKGtfD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^221957295815-device^c-plaid^323968300023-sku^420150000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA
    Just test if the finish is shellac first, as I used this stuff on a guitar I was servicing (that I later thought was French polished) and the pad started slightly sticking, so I suspect it might contain some water or alcohol, so as with any polish, test on a hidden area first...

Steve K

Drew Wiley

I used the pumice version of it to remove the sticky patches of old urethane from the floor of my expensive Bibler tent, then cleaned it off with alcohol before resealing.

I agree, always testing in an inconspicuous area first is good practice. The Deardorffs I've worked on(early '50's to early '70's) are finished with Nitrocellulose Lacquer.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Just test if the finish is shellac first, as I used this stuff on a guitar I was servicing (that I later thought was French polished) and the pad started slightly sticking, so I suspect it might contain some water or alcohol, so as with any polish, test on a hidden area first...
    Steve K

EDIT: the 1937 V8 I have has a shellac finish, NOT lacquer. Since it was sprayed, it looks VERY SIMILAR the later lacquer finish. But in preparation for some resto-work, I tested it and confirmed with Ken H.
    Even Ken doesn't know exactly when the Deardorff factory switched from shellac to lacquer, but my Feb 1950 camera is definitely lacquer.
    Last edited by Tracy Storer; 3-Dec-2019 at 20:00. Reason: "new to me" info
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

If i had an old Deardorff, which I no longer do, I would use the products that Barry Cochran advised using. I would want to keep it in as close to its original finish as possible, but YMMV.

Drew Wiley

Guess you're not out in the weather much. Just how original and authentic is something warped?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Guess you're not out in the weather much. Just how original and authentic is something warped?
    You're right. At 74 and in ill health, I don't get out much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I used the pumice version of it to remove the sticky patches of old urethane from the floor of my expensive Bibler tent, then cleaned it off with alcohol before resealing.
    hmmm, I wonder if this work with sticky Harrison changing tents...
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Drew Wiley

But you certainly communicate in the now, and no doubt still visualize like a large format junkie, and I enjoy what you say, even if little details get bantered back and forth.

Drew Wiley

Fred - the outdoorsy threads say to use talcum powder on tent urethane; but that's just about the last thing I'd ever want around film or even myself handling camera gear. The problem is that we tend to roll up these things too tightly for storage in what were intended as transport bags. After cleaning and rinsing well, I got some dull (satin) Armor All from the auto store and wiped on several coats (only to the tent floor - none of this applies to Goretex or Cordura fabric!). The are much better products out there than Armor All, but not in a non-glossy version, which gives an obvious visual distinction from the shiny old urethane. But once that old film starts peeling or smelling like cat piss, it's probably too far gone to restore.

Tracy, my Gibson polish from Guitar Center came in a little pump bottle too!
    I have the bottom of my V8 to test stuff out on.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White