Thread: Epson Expression 12000XL Photo Scanner experiences?

Epson Expression 12000XL Photo Scanner experiences?

Lately have been seriously considering investing in an Epson Expression 12000XL Photo Scanner. Present scanner is an Epson Perfection V750 Pro which I love but when I use it for scanning 11x14" negatives, I have to make overlapping scans and let Photoshop merge them together. Was making 4 scans of my 11x14" negatives and getting good results. Then I tried to making 9 overlapping scans by using much less of a scanning area in the middle of the scanner, and my final merged image seemed to look better. Best guess is that because the glass is recessed into the scanner, when I made 4 scans of the negative, the film was being bent with the top pressed all the way down... but not 100% sure of that. This weekend have to try again and compare 4 merged images verses 9 merged images. A while back had temporary access to a large Epson scanner and was completely spoiled by scanning my 11x14" negatives in a single pass.

So was wondering... anyone in this forum use an Epson Expression 12000XL Photo Scanner? Experiences, opinions, and views? Cost of the 12000XL is definitely not for the weak of heart, but then my 11x14 Chamonix and the 11x14 holders cost me a lot more than a new 12000XL (and I'm not even adding in the cost of my lenses).

Thanks

Re: Epson Expression 12000XL Photo Scanner experiences?

I am also very interested in this scanner as I want to be able to scan 11x14 negatives. However, the product documentation from Epson seems to indicate it is only suitable for scanning up to 4x5 and they don't provide film holders for scanning anything larger. How would you use it? Would you create an 11x14 "holder" or just put the negative directly on the glass? Thanks.

Larger or odd size transparencies go directly on the glass. This isn't some sort of hack, it's stated clearly in Epson's instruction manual for the scanner.

Make sure to put the emulsion/matte side of the film down against the glass bed of the scanner to minimize the chance of Newton Rings. If the film has lots of curls and waves, a large piece of Anti-Newton Ring glass can be placed on top of the film.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com

Having said, in effect, "look at what the instructions say", I have to add that the instructions also say to put transparencies base side down, but also warn of Newton's rings. I don't know why they say base-side down. I would place film emulsion-side down, as Doug advises. Perhaps the default focus setting assumes base-side down, but the Epson 10K-series flatbeds, unlike the 7xx/8xx series, have built-in provision for adjustable focus, so it should be possible to tweak focus even for film that sits on the glass rather than in a holder that can be adjusted or shimmed.

The local lab I used until their film processor died had/has a large Epson - I think it's the 10000 or 11000. They did a few scans of 4 x 5's for me and I guess I'd have to say that they were OK. Nothing that blew me away, probably reasonably close to what I was getting with the 750. For 11 x 14 I suppose they'd be more OK because I doubt you'd be making huge enlargements.

I looked into drum scanners and had Lenny Eiger do a few scans for me. Much better, but I didn't particularly like the workflow and the size of the drum would limit what I could scan. So I wound up with an IQsmart 2 and I'm quite happy with it. The scans are better than the Epson, maybe not quite as good as what Lenny got from the Aztec, but much better than my 750, and this is true at whatever resolution I scan at. I do a lot of MF as well and the higher resolution of the IQsmart helps a lot for that. if I did much 35mm I'd probably be better off with the higher resolution of the IQsmart 3, but I do very very little 35mm these days. Primary difference between the IQsmart and the Epsons is the improved shadow detail.

Anyhow, hardly counts as extensive experience with the larger Epsons but FWIW.

When I was teaching had access to an Epson Expression 12000XL (could have been an 11000XL don't remember exactly) Photo Scanner. Scanned many 11x14 B&W negatives with it. Scans with it were noticeably better than merging overlapping scans made with the V750 Pro. You could see the difference in the scans, but as for final contact prints, you had to really look close to see the differences. Most viewers would not see the differences though. That being said, I am currently saving up to acquire an Epson Expression 12000XL. Already had a custom heavy duty table made up to put the 12000XL on. The scanner does take up more work space than one would think when you actually use it. I have already planned on having clear open table top space on both sides of the scanner to simplify workflow. In my opinion the Epson Expression 12000XL is worth it if you seriously shoot 11x14.

I have access to a 10000Xl and it *just fits* 7x17 negatives. Have gang scanned 8x10 on it, but you need board flat film to do that. Otherwise I place a sheet of AN glass on the film, which is placed emulsion down. Was very close to buying a used one with the transparency lid, and holders, but waited too long, and it sold.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

You might look at used medical sources.... One of my dentist customers has a mostly unused big epson scanner presumably for scanning big xray film. He's doing digital xrays now... I told him it's not worth much money but keep me in mind if he ever wants to retire the scanner and free big desk space.

Quote Originally Posted by SharpMind View Post
    But I'd advise you to invest in a good one if you need it for professional work, as higher cost scanners give a lot more room to work with.
    This is good advice.

A very good collaborative scanner test was made time ago by mambers owning good scanners: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...an-comparison/

Also recently: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-Drum-Scanners