Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Field Camera (lightweight) with two odd needs

Field Camera (lightweight) with two odd needs

You know, I can't think of a 120 back on a medium format or large format that I can load one-handed. While I am sure you have adapted with a much higher degree of creative dexterity than I have, it probably makes sense to determine what kind of back is the best for you to load, and base the rest of your system on using that back - whether it is a Hasselblad A-12, a Rollei SL66, a Fuji or one of the large format roll backs from Horseman, Linhof, Graflex, etc.

I'd imagine any spring-loaded locking knobs could be defeated with lock washers and a little destructive machining.

I'd also venture that a sturdy tripod and mounting system would be a large benefit, as it would provide the required stability for attaching backs and making movements. So maybe it means a heavier, more expensive tripod and a lighter, cheaper camera....

Original Poster's reply to questions asked
    I use the Hasselblad system right now (501CM, three lenses), and love it except for the absence of close focusing and tilts (I can load an A12 back easily one-handed). I have a Manfrotto Carbon One tripod with their new hydrostatic ballhead, which works well for me, and will take any light 4x5. The poster who mentioned a rosewood Wista for sale intrigued me, because a friend has a Wista, and I know that I can handle one. How much does the rosewood one weigh?
    One odd camera I have considered, given my affection for 'blads, is Hasselblad's own Flexbody. I've seen one, and I can handle the movements. The two problems are whether the lenses (it uses standard 'blad lenses, nice because I own three) have enough coverage to permit sufficient movement (tilt seems to be OK, rise quite limited) , and whether any exist for sale anywhere in the world. The Flexbody was discontinued years ago, and I actually have Hasselblad's East Coast rep chasing down whether the last one exists anywhere. I've NEVER seen a used one for sale. I also don't know if I could afford it, even if one could be found.

-dan

Dan,

For what its worth, I broke my hand and arm many years ago in a stupid motorcycle accident, and ended up using borrowing a 6x9 Linhof Technika camera to use. It worked fine with one hand (except the back movements, which requires three hands) but was too heavy. So I would support Oren's suggestion to look for a Horseman VH, its quite a bit lighter than the Linhof, and will work easily with one hand. I think you will find that the Wista and other folding wooden field cameras, including the Ebony, will much more difficult to use with a single hand.

Since you seem to be happy with the MF format, and given all the complications with LF and your handicap, I will second Rob's suggestion to find a Rollei SL66 and try it out. It has that bit of tilt that might do the trick.

Dan,

Depending on where you live you really should visit a fully stocked dealer and handle some cameras personally to see which fit your needs and applications best.

Scott Davis

Dan-

as a Shen Hao user, I would encourage you to give one a try, and not let the "weight" deter you. It only weighs 6#, which isn't far off your requirement. You can operate the front movements with one hand, provided you unlock one knob at at time. Given your one-handedness, a bit more weight in the camera could actually be a good thing, because it would reduce residual vibration from things like inserting film holders.

I would second the recommendation of the Rodenstock 75 6.8 lens. They are not rare used, and they have great coverage. Look for the Calumet Caltar version of it, because it is the exact same lens, but since it doesn't have the prestige name on it, it sells for less.

Hasselblad flexbodies do show up on that auction site from time to time. They usually go for close to if not more than your budget. Make absolutely certain that if you bid on one, it has the full set of accessories (auxiliary focusing screens, cable releases, etc). Just do a search on the Cameras & Photo category for "Hasselblad FlexBody".

Another vote for the Horseman VH or VHR. Meets all of your requirements I think, and the VHR can be used in rangefinder mode. A very cool camera system. Also if you are shooting 2x3 consider the very sharp 75mm f5.6 Horseman Super lens, a great lightweight lens for this format.

Oops, that should read 75mm f5.6 Horseman Professional lens.

Also if you really want a 4x5 camera that is also good with roll film backs, the Horseman FA, HD and HF are all very similar to the VH and VHR (and very light weight) but with the larger back.

Dan,

The weight of the Wista field camera is 3.2 pounds or 1.5 kilograms.

Best regards,

Greg