Thread: A Journal

A Journal

I wonder how many of you keep a journal about your photographic work. Does it make you reflect and think about your work? Does it help shape your vision? Or appreciate your surroundings? Does it help you achieve an ultimate (or multiple) goals in this chosen path? Any stories to share?

A Journal

I do keep a journal. I initially started doing it because I had seen journals my ancestors had written and I enjoyed reading them. Since I started doing large format photography (not quite 4 years now) I put a contact print of every 4x5 negative I make as well as the exposure information and the GPS coordinates where the exposure was made. In addition the journal contains written entries and digital snapshots (which are color, all my 4x5 work is B&W). I've found this helps me a lot when I decide to return to an area or put together a portfolio of prints which span a large period of time. There have been several occasions when I decided to go back I found renewed interest in a negative which I had initially not found very interesting. Sometimes because I "saw" a new way to print it and other times because I found it fit into larger themes within my work. I also find it interesting to see how the photographs I made change between my initial visit and later visits.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

A Journal

I don't, but I think it's a great idea and a great question. It worked for Weston (for his fans, anyhow ...)

Daniel Geiger

A Journal

Does data-basinig count? I keep a FileMaker DB with location, equipment, and organism (do mainly nature/natural history type shots), scans & disc location, approx. 30 fields plus thumbnail (200 pixels long axis), about 8,000 records for some 25,000 shots, mainly 35 mm but 4x5 is growing. It's a relational setup with about four main tables.

For LF I also keep data sheets with all movements, bellows factor, filter, metering, film type, location, GPS. It has helped tremendously discovering patterns in my errors, such as limited coverage of certain lenses, and compensation for POL filters. That sheet is stored right next to the sheet film in the 4-pocket binder sheets.

But I'm far to left brained for the moody-feely-type jounal with my own very special thoughts.

my 2c

A Journal

Thanks to all for responding. It's interesting knowing what people do with their information.

A Journal

I keep a darkroom journal. It helps me to remember exposures, printing problems, etc.