Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fuji 250 6.3 or 250 6.7, I am confused? Is one superior to another in 8x10 Use?

Re: Fuji 250 6.3 or 250 6.7, I am confused? Is one superior to another in 8x10 Use?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The 240A has just as much coverage as the W 6.7, and is even better corrected at close range. Tiny, and plenty bright for outdoor use. I've owned them both, and both are very good.
    Thanks Drew for your advice. I allways listened that the A 240 is a superb lens, but I have a limited budget. The W f 6,7 version is the cheapest and the one with larger IC, but the question is if its good enough for color transparency work. The 398 mm IC is tempting....

Dave Karp

Re: Fuji 250 6.3 or 250 6.7, I am confused? Is one superior to another in 8x10 Use?

Quote Originally Posted by hiend61 View Post
    . . . The question for me is if the f6,7 single coated version is good enough for color work. . . .
    Sorry, I can't help there. I shoot black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by hiend61 View Post
    Thanks Drew for your advice. I allways listened that the A 240 is a superb lens, but I have a limited budget. The W f 6,7 version is the cheapest and the one with larger IC, but the question is if its good enough for color transparency work. The 398 mm IC is tempting....
    Pardon me for being an ignorant barbarian, but aren't all modern LF lenses fit for use with color reversal films? Please name one that isn't.

Drew Wiley

The 6.7 is superb for color. I've used it for numerous Cibachromes. But when I first got it, I thought it was not sufficiently corrected for wavelength alignment, because in one print of a high altitude sunset, there were two distinct adjacent lines parallel to the shape of a ridge in front, one orange, the other purple. But then high up Kauai, where the air is also extremely clear, I noticed this phenomena with my own eyes, then again over Comb Reef in Utah. It was at that point I realized just what a good lens this was, because none of my prior lenses had been able to record it!

Drew Wiley

As per the 240A, it's virtually apochromatic. So I wouldn't worry about any of the Fuji lenses under discussion with respect to color transparencies. But you do have to be concerned with the sheer contrast of Velvia in open sun. These are all contrasty lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Pardon me for being an ignorant barbarian, but aren't all modern LF lenses fit for use with color reversal films? Please name one that isn't.
    OK Dan, you´re right, but you know that multi coated lenses can have a better behavior with flare and therefore a better color rendition. I own 3 single coated Apo Ronars that have superb color rendition, but they are apo lenses, not the case of the Fujinon. Anyway, I shade lenses very carefully, so I decided to go with the 6,7. I was offered one in very good condition for almost a bargain price, and the generous image circle is a temptation.

Thanks for your comments Drew. They have given me the last kick to go for the 6,7. I´m aware of the wild behavior of Fuji Velvia, but after more than 25 years together we know each other well. I have a reasonable Velvia 5x7 frozen stock.