Thread: Hello Wisconsin!

Matt Alexander

Hello Wisconsin!

Long time listener, First time caller.
    I've been shooting film for 30 years or so. Worked my way through high school and college in a variety of photo jobs - commercial studio, photo labs, sales, freelance. When the Digital wave crashed over the film industry, I was just starting my family. Small kids me left me little time/money for film - my darkroom became storage space, film cameras were put away. Now that my kids are at ages where I am able adequately devote time to my own interests, I've got the darkroom restarted and have begun shooting film again.

LF wise, I got my first taste in HS in a commercial studio where 4x5 was the norm, with occasional 8x10 thrown in. In college, my grandfather and I built a 1/2 decent 4x5 field camera that I am still shooting with today. Picked up a couple of crown/speed graphics along the way and recently inherited a old 8x10 portrait camera I found in his attic after he passed away. I'm currently refurbishing that beast and hope to start putting film though it in the next couple of months.

Anyway - it's been a pleasure to be here. After being involved with other online groups and seeing them devolve into petty arguments and populated with trolls, I was hesitant to officially join up. But I've been so happy to see this group being so supportive, informative and well moderated. I look forward to sharing what I can.
    Thanks
    Matt

loujon

Re: Hello Wisconsin!

Hey Matt Welcome aboard!

Glad to have you back on the dark side!

I adore my studio cameras so much so that I have a few all in nice condition w/ matching stands(a must).They're terrific for what they are/where made for and you can't beat the 9x9-10x10 lens boards for mounting things like Dallmeyer 3-4A, 4B, 480 Heliar, Big 21"cone lens so on and on......

Whereabouts are you in Wisconsin? I live in Fond du Lac.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Welcome!

I visit Wisconsin and lived there twice.

Now far Southern IL.

Setting up a 5X7 selfie at this moment.

Matt Alexander

Thanks all! Glad to be back on the dark side
    I'm in the Madison area. The 8x10 definitely needs some work. The bellows has some pinholes but i think is repairable, at least for the short term. But not bad considering it's age and storage conditions - been sitting in an uninsulated attic for at least 50 years - who knows where before then!

Welcome aboard!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White