Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Bergger Pancro 400 in sheets

Re: Bergger Pancro 400 in sheets

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...newton rings are almost impossible to avoid in glass carriers. Delta 100 sheet film's emulsion side's glossiness falls between those two, but is much closer to TMY-2's. I've never managed to get a Newton's ring with Delta 100 sheet film. Extreme high humidity ambient conditions might be sufficient to cause them, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Interesting - I've had a hell of a time trying to get rid of Newton rings on a Kodak pin registered contact print frame with both Delta & HP5+ - to the point that getting an AN glass for it seems the only solution - and room humidity isn't higher than about 55%.
    Please note that my post referred to film's emulsion side contacting bottom glass in a negative carrier. With contact printing, your rings are coming from the film's base side touching frame glass. Every sheet film I'm aware of does that (except 320TXP, which has a dull base-side retouching coating) and almost demands anti-Newton glass when contact printing. This also applies to a glass negative carrier's top glass. All of my enlarger glass carriers are configured with plain bottom and anti-Newton top glasses.

Drew Wiley

Most of my carriers have AN glass BOTH sides. If it is high-quality AN glass there is no degredation in image sharpness whatsoever. None, nada, nil, nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Please note that my post referred to film's emulsion side contacting bottom glass in a negative carrier. With contact printing, your rings are coming from the film's base side touching frame glass. Every sheet film I'm aware of does that (except 320TXP, which has a dull base-side retouching coating) and almost demands anti-Newton glass when contact printing. This also applies to a glass negative carrier's top glass. All of my enlarger glass carriers are configured with plain bottom and anti-Newton top glasses.
    Of course - this is obvious & logical, and yet I didn't think this one through...

The retouching coating would have been pretty common (nearly universal?) in the era of that frame, so it makes sense!

Drew Wiley

I just masked some Bergger 200. It's a luxury. Neither side is terribly smooth.