Thread: Photo Apps for Smartphones and Impact of Operating System Upgrades

Photo Apps for Smartphones and Impact of Operating System Upgrades

Making the title generic enough, that someone else can use it in the future for a related issue.

I have an Apple iPhone, and the migration to iOS 11 has left a number of valuable photo apps no longer usable, in particular PhotoTools Pro (will send PM to Lenny later).

Does anyone know the nature of the iOS 11 change and the extent such that it impacted a number of photo apps? Will it be easy to modify the apps to make them compliant with iOS 11 and expected future iOS changes?

I did a search and found nothing else listed on this issue. Is no one else experiencing this issue, or was my search flawed.

Appreciate any insight into the situation,

Len

Re: Photo Apps for Smartphones and Impact of Operating System Upgrades

Private Message response from Lenny Eiger, posted with his permission:

"Hi Len,

I don't think there is an upgrade path. So far, one other person has asked for it... I'd have to rewrite the whole thing. Apple keeps all the info - when I wrote it there wasn't even a way to have people register, so I have no emails of those whole bought it - I couldn't even put out an upgrade notice.... I could spend a lot of money and time rewriting it and get 5 people to buy an upgrade... I also think the interface needs a lot of work, and I'm not clear in my mind how to solve the main issues...
    I am glad you like it enough to want to keep using it... I don't know how I can keep it going.... "

Re: Photo Apps for Smartphones and Impact of Operating System Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Making the title generic enough, that someone else can use it in the future for a related issue.

I have an Apple iPhone, and the migration to iOS 11 has left a number of valuable photo apps no longer usable, in particular PhotoTools Pro (will send PM to Lenny later).

Does anyone know the nature of the iOS 11 change and the extent such that it impacted a number of photo apps? Will it be easy to modify the apps to make them compliant with iOS 11 and expected future iOS changes?

I did a search and found nothing else listed on this issue. Is no one else experiencing this issue, or was my search flawed.

When iOS 11 was released the OS no longer supported 32 bit Apps. Apple switched to 64 bit processors and back in 2014 and maintained compatiabilty with 32 bit Apps for 3+ year. Developers were notified that several years ago that 32 bit apps would be deprecated in the future and were advised to upgrade their apps to maintain compatibility with a modern OS.

It’s fairly simple to convert a 32 bit app to a 64 bit app, from what other developers have told me. If the app is essential to your workflow buy an older iPhone that has not been upgraded to iOS 11. I keep several iPhone 4S and 5 for just that purpose. These older iPhones can many times be purchased in near pristine condition for less than $50 on eBay.

Appreciate any insight into the situation,

Len