Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: how to rotate ilex #5

Re: how to rotate ilex #5

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Of course if it wasn't true, then it would work and would be far better and quicker than fooling with tape which is not permanent and will soon have to be replaced. Far better than tape would have been to use a metal washer which would be a permanent solution while maintaining parallel integrity.

But the photographs supplied by the OP don't show the flange just the front and rear elements removed with a roll of tape nearby. There is nothing to indicate that tape was placed between the shutter and flange and the positioning of the tape was supplied not by the OP but by someone else. "Fake news"?
    I'd be a lot more worried about film flatness in a film holder than maintaining parallel integrity when using a metal washer or bit of tape. Large format cameras are not precision instruments like Swiss mechanical watches nor do they need to be.
    Last edited by Alan Gales; 23-Jan-2018 at 19:03.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I just use sheet film for a even thickness shim (cut with a circle compass cutter)...
    A most excellent solution! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Almost as bad as erroneous internet advise is exaggerated internet fear-mongering.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    The funniest thing is that the guy asking the question has fixed his problem and is out shooting pictures, while others are...
    7 pages? Really? Brian is absolutely right. Send the lens elements to Grimes and have him remount them in a NEW OLD STOCK shutter and have them find a new old stock lens board and mount the new shutter to the new board, and when you get it back 18 months later and you're $1800 poorer for a 25 cent problem, hire somebody to take the pictures because you might not be able to do that right either.

Where did I put my waders. The poor OP probably feels like the folks in Montecito. Except it isn't mud.