Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to rotate ilex #5

how to rotate ilex #5

Hello,
    I got an old Italian view camera from the fifties, a Fatif: a very sturdy one. With the camera came a lens that I like a lot: a Kodak Commercial Ektar 14' f6.3. in Ilex Universal Syncro shutter #5. Lens and shutter are well mounted in an old type Linhof Technika lensboard, the one that looks squared in regular shape. My problem is that the screw plug in the shutter is too on the side, too close to the structure of the camera, this makes the operation to screw and unscrew the flexible to the shutter difficult and with danger of damage for both flexible and shutter. Question:
    - How can I rotate, just some degrees, the shutter on the lensboard without making a mess?
    Try to attach images below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fatif6.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	173909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fatif7.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	173910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fatif8.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	173911
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fatif6.jpg  

Re: how to rotate ilex #5

C'mon, I know that my question sounds really stupid, is that I'm scared to make damages, I don't know where and what I can turn or unscrew with strength without any broke.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

If you want an answer from someone who really knows what they are talking about it may be worth being a bit more patient.

Or.. I can give you my semi-knowledgeable suggestion.

The shutter appears to be mounted using its flange. The flange appears to have been properly affixed to the front of the lensboard with screws, probably two from your pics and probably threaded.

Screw out the rear lens element. Turn counterclockwise

Screw out the shutter. You can leave the front lens element in place. Turn counterclockwise.

You should now see an aluminum flange with 4 screw holes. That flange needs to rotate to position the shutter in your desired orientation.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

I believe Brian is correct. I'll add that it appears that the shutter was released using a push-pull solenoid. Making a finger release might be another challenge. Please stay in touch. It's an interesting project.

(I have had the worst luck with that shutter. Both of mine are broken.)

One more piece of input. If turning the shutter 90 degrees will fix the problem for you then the solution should be simple. If not, see if you can mount the shutter using the flange reversed from the back side of the lens board, as a normal retaining ring. That is the other “legitimate way” that works well with some metal lens boards.

Just to add to Brian's great reply. The shutter may have been mounted in the retaining flange for a long time and it may be a little stuck. I would remove the rear lens element as Brian suggests and I would also remove the front lens element. Since the Ilex #5 is such a large shutter you may find it easier to hold the lens board in one hand and the shutter in the other with both lens cells removed. With a counter clockwise twisting motion separate the two. Like Brian says there are 4 screws holding the retaining flange to the lens board. The board will have to be drilled for new fasteners to attach it to the board in a new position.

One more thing to add. The Ilex #5 shutters take a long throw cable release. Most cable releases have too short a throw and will not work. Modern new Gepe releases will work as will the older Prontor releases. You have to find the Prontors used though.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the lens. I own a Kodak 14" Commercial Ektar in a #5 Ilex shutter and it is my favorite lens!

Thanks to you all,
    now I'm still scared to work on the lens/shutter but at least I have an idea on how the combo is assembled.
    Brian: thanks Brian, sorry if I pushed a bit for an answer, i'm new to the forum and to the lens so I was a bit overexcited. =)
    Jac: I had the same suspect of a selenoid release (is something like the small 'gas tank' used in some Speed Graphic cameras, I suppose). Thanks Jac.
    Alan: You are right about the long throw cable release, of the two cables I have just one is working with this shutter. Long live the 14' Commercial Ektar! Thanks to you too, Alan.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Here is a disassembled view of a 610 apo-Nikkor mounted on a toyo 159mm board in a Ilex-5 shutter by SK Grimes:

I opened the shutter to f9 to protect the blades, unscrewed the front element, unscrewed the rear element and then unscrewed the shutter exposing the flange mounted to the board with 4 phillips head screws. This was a brand new lens so the threaded screws were supplied with the lens by Nikon and Adam trimmed them flush with the back of the board. If I wanted to reorient the flange 90 degrees I would simply remove them with a phillips screwdriver and reorient the flange keeping in mind which hole each screw was removed from in case of a threading problem.

This exercise allowed me to remove a solitary spec of dust that had settled on the inside of the front element (top left).

Thomas