Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bellows Extension Design

Bellows Extension Design

Mu current Wisner 11x14 was purchased used with a rather short set of bellows. The was original owner ordered the bellows this way. Now I find that there are shots where some extra length is needed for tighter compositions. So here is the question. Is it possible to add about 18" of bellows on the front as an extension without interfering with the image? I am concerned that the extension may cause image cutoff. This may or may not be a valid concern. The other option would to have a longer set made. Any suggestions?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Bellows Extension Design

If the bellows is much shorter than a standard set, maybe just ordering a standard (or slightly longer, don't know what's available) set would be the best. If you go longer that standard, make sure the bed will extend long enough, and that you can still fold the camera up with the thicker bellows.

Reversing a recessed lensboard might buy you an extra inch or two up front, but beyond 6", you might start getting vignetting, and it would torque on the front standard, possibly slipping the tilt movement. 6" extended lensboards would be a pain to carry, and you'd need one for each lens you might run out that far.

A rigid extension on the rear is easy enough to make; just an open-ended box that fits into the rear standard where the back comes off, and accepts the gg back on the other end. It will move your rear movements forward by the length of the extension, and would restrict movements a bit. And you would probably need an extra support so it didn't torque the rear movements after you set it. (18" is a lot of leverage on a rear standard.)

Sorry, Bruce, but I'd say get the longer bellows...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Bellows Extension Design

I just ordered a longer bellows for my American Optical 11x14" camera. The camera came with a relatively new bellows of 30" that started coming unglued internally almost as soon as I bought the camera. I removed it and peeled it off the frames to discover that whoever perpetrated this failed experiment in bellows making had noted on the frame that the original bellows was 27". The camera has enough track for 36", so I ordered a bellows of that length from Camera Bellows (UK), and it is in transit at this very moment. I had them put rings at 1/3 and 2/3 the length of the bellows so that I can compress them toward the front standard with short lenses to prevent bellows obstruction.

Bellows Extension Design

Forgot to mention that there is a full 50" of bed on the camera as it is a triple extension. From the sounds of it a longer set would be the way to go. My only concern is getting a good design. The original bellows on the camera was around 48". I would like to get around 40" or longer if at all possible. As long as there is camera to support the bellows the longer the better. Next I would need a good design to send to a bellows maker. I would be interested in knowing how your belows came out David. I am sure I will just order a second set and keep my current set.

Bellows Extension Design

Bruce, Ron's new sheepskin bellows are just awesome. I have one on my new expedition 8x20.

Bellows Extension Design

Robert,
    I have a set of the same on my 8x20. If Ron were operational I would have him make me a set. That may be many months away though. They are nice bellows. A tad beefy as well.

Bellows Extension Design

I think he'll be taking orders starting the first of the month and hopefully his lead times will improve or at least be more accurate.

Bellows Extension Design

I'd be inclined to talk to Camera Bellows about it. I have a lot of confidence in their ability.

Bellows Extension Design

Ernest, What type of material does Camera Bellows use for their bellows?

Bellows Extension Design

I did not send Camera Bellows a "design" for my Wisner per say just the front and rear frames and I got back a 50" bellows as requested that looked as good as anything I have seen. I figure that they will know what I need and I was correct in this assessment.

They do a hell of a good job.

Cheers!