Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Factory Misaligned Super Graphic Viewfinder

Re: Factory Misaligned Super Graphic Viewfinder

Thanks dsphotog. And you're right, the viewfinder does interfere with the rotating back. So in their infinite wisdom, Graflex put 2 slots in the mounting block. You lift up the spring clip in the finder and slide it forward to the front slot so you can turn the rotating back to vertical. I guess their logic was that if your rotating back was in vertical mode, you'd be on a tripod with a dark cloth using the camera as a field/view camera.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	173869
    Last edited by HT Finley; 19-Jan-2018 at 18:03.

loujon

Absolutely an option not stock on the Super/SSuper Graphic.

From a Super Graphic Catalog.http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_6.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Super Graphic Optional viewfinder.jpg  

Louis Pacilla is the man. Filled in the blanks. So the holes in the body WERE factory drilled and tapped, but hidden by the leather covering. When you bought the optional finder, you pierced the leather and mounted the block. So it seems the factory was the culprit in this viewfinder being mis-aimed. Thanks. Now I've gotten to the bottom of it.

Maybe replacing the screws with flat, non-countersunk ones will allow some wiggle room to correct the angle...

Wasn't this series of camera made by Toyo in Japan???

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Maybe replacing the screws with flat, non-countersunk ones will allow some wiggle room to correct the angle...

Wasn't this series of camera made by Toyo in Japan???

Steve K
    They were made originally by the various US Graflex companies. Toyo bought the rights to manufacture after the last US company in FL went bust.
    Linhof is still owed money for defective Grafmatic holders that were returned to them, through us, as they were running a better then 70% defect rate! Linhof had complained to them so much that they refused to talk to Linhof and we ended up as the middleman between the 2 companies. Graflex in FL would not honor their obligations and went belly up and neither we nor Linhof ever received any money from the liquidation as neither of us were secured debt holders.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

That’s an interesting tidbit of history.

No one is perfect...even in the USA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Apollo Rocketdyne f1 Injedtor plate.jpg  

BTW If anybody is interested in these Supers, I have a fairly recent thread on photo.net concerning replacing the electronics of the Super with some other idea to trip its solenoid without having to deface the camera. If so, remember the battery bay will not accept 4 AA's, but will accept 4 AAA's. It may also accept 2 9V's, but I have not attempted them for fit personally.. And a new battery door can be made with a slide-type switch. Thank you. PS. Thank you for the photo of the engine plate. I was in the VAB in the summer of '68 as an 11 year old with my family as tourists, and saw the Apollo 8 rocket up close as they were stacking it. I tried taking pictures, but my Instamatic 104 flash wasn't bright enough. It was a big building and a big rocket, and my flashcubes couldn't compete.

I was a little younger when I went to see the VAB. I also have no pictures, I think I did not have my first Instamatic yet.
    I did have a telescope and on 21 July, 1969 I recall how a child's imagination can be stronger than reality. To my eye, I could see them up there as much as I could see Armstrong via the fold-out camera on the side of the LEM than night.

I also recall my Revell Saturn V model, which was I had disassembled in pieces following the sequences of operation of the mission.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4926707a843c6d61018065002cf7a05a--art-model-aviation-art.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	173918

Quote Originally Posted by HT Finley View Post
    BTW If anybody is interested in these Supers, I have a fairly recent thread on photo.net concerning replacing the electronics of the Super with some other idea to trip its solenoid without having to deface the camera. If so, remember the battery bay will not accept 4 AA's, but will accept 4 AAA's. It may also accept 2 9V's, but I have not attempted them for fit personally.. And a new battery door can be made with a slide-type switch. Thank you. PS. Thank you for the photo of the engine plate. I was in the VAB in the summer of '68 as an 11 year old with my family as tourists, and saw the Apollo 8 rocket up close as they were stacking it. I tried taking pictures, but my Instamatic 104 flash wasn't bright enough. It was a big building and a big rocket, and my flashcubes couldn't compete.
    Funny, because my first photo was of Apollo 8 on the launch pad (with an ominous dark sky above), shot with an Instamatic... I remember that even then, they were very security conscious spooked, even with an 8 year old taking a picture from a quarter mile away...

Steve K