Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the great shots? Am I a cynicist or a realist?

Re: Where are the great shots? Am I a cynicist or a realist?

Rob Steinberg created some truly beautiful book/folios back in the mid 1980's - 11x14 contact albumen prints bound in italian leather. Not sure how large a run, but they sold well.

Are you talking Large Format or Photography with cameras of all sizes?

Many I know and see using Large Format are still under the spell of Ansel Adams. Deep blacks, white whites and contrast, contrast, contrast to make an image. Generally same old places and occasionally a new one.

Adams made a few great images - but not all were gems. Much of his best work was when there was a female love interest or infatuation in the mix. Weston produced more excellent images - but he had many more love interests helping to keep him young and creative excitement going.

If you check there are still excellent images being made - you have to look harder because they are drowned in the ocean of mediocre work being touted as 'latest and greatest' by a promoter/publicist of some sort.

Jim Becia turned me on to a book by Jack Spencer, THIS LAND: An American Portrait. Some excellent work in the book and a vision that is both creative and manipulative at the same time with some images.

Sally Mann is a name doing some fine work still. Producing work that is "better" than here family portraits is a tall order I don't think anyone can do.

Yes, a lot of "same old-same old" out there and many who constantly ask "where are the best photo locations?" all the while missing excellent images close to home.

You might as well be asking "what is the best vehicle" as "where are the great shots".

These great images are there if you look. Maybe you have to move past looking in the same old places?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Are you talking Large Format or Photography with cameras of all sizes?

You might as well be asking "what is the best vehicle" as "where are the great shots".
    This is the LF forum. I've little or no interest in cutting edge or technology. I think Adams and probably Edward are surpassed these days. You're absolutely right that we LF knuckle draggers are lost in time. That's sort of what I've realized. Edward and Ansel were right man right time phenomena. No need for either now.

Oh, and we've discussed the best vehicle already on this forum. I think a '29 Ford Station Wagon is hard to beat. At least you've got something to take a picture of.

So I guess that answers my question about being a realist
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NoNameMenis_04s.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    So I guess that answers my question about being a realist
    Realism is an invention of people who cannot tolerate creative imagination, alternate views.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Realism is an invention of people who cannot tolerate creative imagination, alternate views.
    Well done realism honors the subject. Sometimes creative imagination honors the artist.

Let's not forget that a photograph is NOT reality, but a abstract (better or worse) facsimile of light reflecting off some stuff, so we "connect the dots", but something else than "real"...

But we adapt... ;-)

Steve K

observation defines reality

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    This is the LF forum. I've little or no interest in cutting edge or technology. I think Adams and probably Edward are surpassed these days. You're absolutely right that we LF knuckle draggers are lost in time. That's sort of what I've realized. Edward and Ansel were right man right time phenomena. No need for either now.
    My solution was to embrace LF as performance art. I don't care anymore what the photos look like. Well, obviously I try my best and I'm more and more willing to experiment and get out of my comfort zone, but it's not the image I'm working toward.

All the worlds a stage

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...worlds-a-stage

T
    Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    My solution was to embrace LF as performance art. I don't care anymore what the photos look like. Well, obviously I try my best and I'm more and more willing to experiment and get out of my comfort zone, but it's not the image I'm working toward.

multiplex

thank yo u!