Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the great shots? Am I a cynicist or a realist?

Re: Where are the great shots? Am I a cynicist or a realist?

With regard to landscapes - every day is different. Every minute is different. Weather is constantly changing; the position of the sun changes over the year. IMO no location is overdone. There's always a new view, a new way of looking. My best photos back in south GA came from returning to the same place, over and over, at different times of the day, different seasons, or just with a fresh set of eyes.

There are some photographers that "check the box" in terms of well-known locales. Same location, same overlook, basically the same photo. It takes time to get to know a place, so this doesn't work IMO. For example - I love Clyde Butcher's work in the Florida landscape. He traveled west and made photographs at many famous locations. I don't find them that compelling in comparison to his Florida work. I think it's because he didn't have the depth of time in those places like he has in the Florida Everglades.

I've seen this for myself after moving recently. I am only now starting to really get, hopefully, good images here.

There is much to see and much to shoot anywhere.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    In a recent thread an OP asks about where the good shots are near Portland. Change the name and we see the same querry a thousand times here. And I guess I'm getting a bit cynical.

It's absolutely OK to ask the question.
    Jim,

Of course it's OK to ask the question. In fact, the malaise you go on to express has nothing to do with that inquiry.

Suppose that I'm going to Yosemite and have never been before. Then a group of photographers would be be ideal for asking where to go and what to see. I can go and experience the wonder of the cliffs and falls and then, if I don't want to re-create all of Ansel's photos, I try to do something original like Oliver Gaglioni's tent patches or Ted Orland's "One and a Half Domes."

I wish you well in your quest to find meaning in your work, but lighten up on the rest of us photographic tourists!

In the interest of full disclosure of my non-digital identity,
    Gregg Waterman

I think many people - more now than ever - long to grasp onto something larger than themselves, or feel like they've missed out on opportunities at some time or another. We are, after all, living in relatively uneventful times in world history.

I'm convinced those people were Mongolian hordes in a past life.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

I'll suggest a project... Jim, you've acquired a lot of knowledge, now's the time to put it to work. You love old Fords, have one or two? You live in an interesting visual environment. It's time to combine those. I'd like to see you do a series of illustrations, portraits if you will, of your old Fords. You've teased us for years with 'just wanted to see what the lens will do'. Now get serious with the subject... choosing background, lighting, time, and the proper lens for each subject. I'm sure you have friends who willed you shoot their cars, too. Set some rules; one format, one print size, one paper. People in the pictures, or not? Choose. Work within the boundaries you set for yourself. Give yourself a year, and I'll bet you have a great little portfolio of pictures that only you could have made. You won't have set up in Ansel Adams' tripod holes, or anyone else's. Use your knowledge to show us something you love! "The Subject Matters", as Bill Jay wrote.
    I for one will look forward to seeing such a project completed; your pictures so far point in this direction... go for it!

Foamer

I'm pretty sure none of my photos will ever achieve any fame, and probably not even any longevity. Add to that I only find less than 5% of any I've ever taken to actually be any good. So why do it? Well, duck season only lasts for three months and I have to find something else to do the other nine months. Photography is basically my creative outlet. If I didn't do that, I'd probably be learning to play the oboe. (Seriously--I played flute at University of Kansas.) Photography gets me outdoors, generally out in some pretty remote corners of the Northern Plains. Every now and then I am rewarded with a photo I kind of like. And it sort of comes down to that--if I didn't take photos, what else would I be doing for fun?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    If I didn't do that, I'd probably be learning to play the oboe.
    Now there is something we don't need more of!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Jim, Your quote from the book reminds me of the ending of that book that provides your answer. Books, photos - life itself. Find God and do his will.

Ecclesiastes Chapter 12:
    12 And furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
    13 The end of the matter, all having been heard: fear God, and keep His commandments; for this is the whole man.
    14 For God shall bring every work into the judgment concerning every hidden thing, whether it be good or whether it be evil.

In the meanwhile, don't hoard your work. Frame the prints. Give them as gifts to friends and families. Watch their enjoyment and smiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Jim, Your quote from the book reminds me of the ending of that book that provides your answer. Books, photos - life itself. Find God and do his will.

Ecclesiastes Chapter 12:
    12 And furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
    13 The end of the matter, all having been heard: fear God, and keep His commandments; for this is the whole man.
    14 For God shall bring every work into the judgment concerning every hidden thing, whether it be good or whether it be evil.

In the meanwhile, don't hoard your work. Frame the prints. Give them as gifts to friends and families. Watch their enjoyment and smiles.
    Bingo. Done, in process, done, done, done, done, done, done, and done.

Jim, you say, "it has been 25 years now that I have pursued artistic photography," and then, "the wind in the sails 25 years ago is gone."

You are, by some measurements, in your infancy as a photographer. I have, in my 65 years as a photographer, had similar doubts along the way, even periods without touching a camera. However, I have always come back, and to again quote you, "I'm still going, still enjoying, having fun." This is what matters. The wind is not really gone, take a break, and it will return.

When I see that Jim Galli has posted an image on the forum, I always take note. Your work is original and inspirational.

Don't know if it makes any difference but I think you have inspired many others. "Jesus at 100", I will never forget; you have given Jesus a tiny bit of immortality and that is a kindness.