Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uranium Nitrate

Uranium Nitrate

Yup,so im wanting to make a uranium toner.Im looking for the powder or chunks to add to the solutions.I saw uranayl nitrate,is that the same thing?Thanks for any help

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Uranium Nitrate

Yup, same thing. I have a fair amount, and might beat the prices you're finding.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Yup, same thing. I have a fair amount, and might beat the prices you're finding.
    Thanks Mark,yup I might hit ya up on that.
    what formula do you use for this toner and/or tips are appreciated. I was looking at one on Unblinking Eye site but haven't really searched for a formula yet.Thanks for any help
    Shannon

Sorry, but I don't know much about toning or intensifying, I used it for uranium printing. Maybe someone else will chime in...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

In the past I did some Uranium toning on FB paper, nice brown/red hue. Formula from the old literature, nothing special. BUT uranium compounds are extremely toxic (not so much the low radioactivity, but the compound by itself). I work in a lab, but when I found out that even for our lab a special permit is needed I abandoned uranium toning and disposed the left over in a proper way)

So please do research on working with uranium compounds and draw your own conclusions,

Best,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Sorry, but I don't know much about toning or intensifying, I used it for uranium printing. Maybe someone else will chime in...
    Thanks,can you tell me alittle (or) links about uranium printing,,thanks agian

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonG View Post
    Thanks,can you tell me alittle (or) links about uranium printing,,thanks agian
    Some good information on this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...anotype-Thread

Drew Wiley

Uranyl nitrate is easy to get here from scientific suppliers, and there simply needs to be a minor shipping surcharge for the tiny quantites a photographer needs. It can't be mailed.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonG View Post
    Thanks, can you tell me a little (or) links about uranium printing, thanks again
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Some good information on this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...anotype-Thread
    If you check the sixth post, you'll find a couple pages of Uranotype processes from Modern Heliographic Processes. These were my starting point for uranium printing back in the 1970's/'80's. After applying my considerable education and expertise towards experimentation, modification and improvement of the historic chemistry, I found the original formulae worked best.

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    In the past I did some Uranium toning on FB paper, nice brown/red hue. Formula from the old literature, nothing special. BUT uranium compounds are extremely toxic (not so much the low radioactivity, but the compound by itself). I work in a lab, but when I found out that even for our lab a special permit is needed I abandoned uranium toning and disposed the left over in a proper way)

So please do research on working with uranium compounds and draw your own conclusions,

Best,

Cor
    Yes, and why use if there is not a specific application to use it...

If you hit the books, there is a red toner that is much safer to use, and the results are not too far off...

Another example of "just because you could, doesn't mean you should"...

Steve K