Thread: Gitzo o-ring seal

Gitzo o-ring seal

The center column lock on my Gitzo 2530 was getting impossible to turn so I disassembled it.
    It turns out that a rubber o-ring (that I suppose is there to keep dirt out of the threads) had
    dissolved in the lubricating grease and the residue had fouled it all up. Evidently the Gitzo engineers
    were unaware that o-rings are available in many elastomer formulations and that ordinary butyl rubber
    isn't the first choice for compatibility with grease. [Insert your favorite Italian joke here.]

In any event, the o-ring doesn't seem to be a separately available item from the "gitzospares.com"
    site. Does anyone know either a source for that part or the O.D. and cross-section diameter so I
    can source it elsewhere?
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Re: Gitzo o-ring seal

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    The center column lock on my Gitzo 2530 was getting impossible to turn so I disassembled it.
    It turns out that a rubber o-ring (that I suppose is there to keep dirt out of the threads) had
    dissolved in the lubricating grease and the residue had fouled it all up. Evidently the Gitzo engineers
    were unaware that o-rings are available in many elastomer formulations and that ordinary butyl rubber
    isn't the first choice for compatibility with grease. [Insert your favorite Italian joke here.]

In any event, the o-ring doesn't seem to be a separately available item from the "gitzospares.com"
    site. Does anyone know either a source for that part or the O.D. and cross-section diameter so I
    can source it elsewhere?
    Gitzo was French before it became part of the British Vinton group. Now it is made in Italy with Manfrotto.

Look at McMaster Carr

We 'made' O-rings all the time for replacements in factory, the tool crib had a kit to glue rubber strings together.

Amazing how well that worked.

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually in the past I've ordered them for my water filter from an outfit called "theoringstore.com". My problem is that the old one was so disintegrated that there was no point in taking calipers to it. I'll probably just measure the groove it goes in and buy a few and see which fits best. They're cheap enough after all.
    Where are we going?

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually in the past I've ordered them for my water filter from an outfit called "theoringstore.com". My problem is that the old one was so disintegrated that there was no point in taking calipers to it. I'll probably just measure the groove it goes in and buy a few and see which fits best. They're cheap enough after all.
    Just out of curiosity, since you and Manfrotto are both in NJ, have you tried to actually call them and ask?

Tried that, it's not sold separately. No biggie, I'll just measure the parts and order a few likely candidates from The O-Ring Store.
    Where are we going?

go to home depot in the plumbing section. they have a nice variety as well as assorted packs.

[Insert your favorite Italian joke here.]
    Gitzo is French. Its current parent company is English.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Gitzo is French. Its current parent company is English.
    I thought Gitzo was purchased by Manfrotto and they moved all manufacture to Italy? Just thought I heard this but may have misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    I thought Gitzo was purchased by Manfrotto and they moved all manufacture to Italy? Just thought I heard this but may have misunderstood.
    Lou, that may well be true but Gitzo was started in France and stayed there at least until Vitec, successor to Wm. Vinten, acquired the company. The Vitec Group's branding is quite confusing. See https://www.vitecgroup.com/about-us/our-history/