Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lighthouses

lighthouses

Try the recent book on NW Lighthouses by Jones and Roberts.

The subject may be overdone, but the challenge is to find new ways of photographing it, or putting your own style on the subject.

Good luck.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

lighthouses

Caroline, you may consider photographing lighthouses to be trite and overdone, but the challenge lies in being able to just get to some of them. Such as North Caolina's Cape Lookout lighthouse. It requires at least two ferry rides totaling three hours, fifteen minutes, one-way, plus another boat ride just to reach the island where it is located. That is, if you start from the Cape Hattaras area. Trite, my foot. That is what photographing lighthouses is all about, the challenge. One of David Plowdens favorite sayings is, "I don't care if someone else was there just ten minutes ago," or something like that. Photography, after all, if just like any other art form, it is all about how you view the subject, not how others see it.

I agree with Ralph about lighthouses, they all have different characters, just like people. I also agree with what Jim says. That is one reason I bought a Tachihara 8x10 camera. If one is going to photograph the "Queen of the Lighthouses" (Cape Hattaras at 210'), you need a big camera. Right Ralph and Jim? I am still learning how to use a view camera, so my biggest photography goal for next year is to photograph all five Outer Banks lighthouses in North Carolina. Anyone else want to come along?

lighthouses

back again,
    i am thinking of doin the series in balck and white to a 4x5 format exclusively with either a red or yellow filter and maybe even try one or two in infrared with a opague filter. trick is findin infrared for 4x5....the other stuff i have. i think that might add a new dimension to shooting a lighthouse, as i never seen them done that way before. plus, as said before thats what view cameras are great for-architecture. any thoughts??

lighthouses

Jeff,

Just because it's hard to get there doesn't make it interesting.

lighthouses

update:

Have ordered some IR film and will be here late this week or early next week, Macophot 820c. I also got Laurie White's book on infrared...its the advanced one, but its the only one available at the time. Was told they would have the first one in tomorrow, so will go an check it out. I also have to go and get an opaque filter....the one I have will not work...is too light red...is a R2 filter...was 6 bucks. I have a 52mm and a 67mm lens, I will opt for the 52 for now and worry about the 67 later. Have a lot of reading to do.....my light meter may or my not work...but from what I read little of...kinda gives you a little start in right direction. oh well...