Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Impressions on Nikkor M 450mm f9

Re: Impressions on Nikkor M 450mm f9

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Thanks, Pere. Yes, I have a lux meter, but also a special instrument about a thousand times more accurate. I'm familiar with these variables.
    Drew, near a year ago I spent a Sunday afternoon measuring flare. I measured 9.3 stops difference for flare in a Sironar-N 300 MC (c.1980), this is 1 to 630, or 0.15% flare. And I think that most of the reading was not due lens flare, but from other stray light generated after lens.

I used a method based in Ctein's Post Exposure, page 60, but using a 0.1 lux luxmeter. Ctein measured 8.2 stops, but his reading included enlarger bellows generated flare and I guess that his lens was not MC.

From that test I concluded that flare generated by a modern MC lens is not a concern, but light from excessive circle of image was a concern. Later I measured flare with lens in a CAMBO 8x10 with the huge image circle of the Sironar 300 illuminating the bellows, in those conditions I measured x23 more flare.

Just a personal test in my learnig process.

Drew Wiley

In color photography seemingly minor differences in flare or contrast can affect hue saturation and purity. Otherwise, I wouldn't own the selection of lenses I do! It's often a nice way to fine-tune such things up front. I know some folks counter that they can post-correct such things in PS. But like I hinted, I don't like stepping on dead porcupine quills to create dots or clear inkjet nozzles. I like the more seamless route from film to print. Some people slither and dither all over the place trying to reproduce subtle hues that inks just don't respond to very well.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    And if you stop it down to f/64 or f/90 the 450 M will cover 20X24". I know this for a fact because I have actually used the lens on a 20X24" camera.

Yes, resolution is limited by diffraction at f/90 to around 15-17 lpm, and on the corners of 20X24 resolution is much less than that. But for contact printing it is more than enough.

For 12X20 and 14X17 you get huge coverage with the 450 M, enough to allow up to several inches of lateral or up/down movement.

Simple design maybe, but extremely effective use of glass.

Sandy
    Sandy, it was on your recommendation I acquired a 450M for my F&S 12x20. It's a terrific lens, thank you!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Dave Karp

"Was more oriented on the feeling of the lens."

It is like your Nikkor M 300. Forget all of this other stuff. I'll bet you really like it. If you don't, you will be able to sell it for what you paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    "Was more oriented on the feeling of the lens."

It is like your Nikkor M 300. Forget all of this other stuff. I'll bet you really like it. If you don't, you will be able to sell it for what you paid for it.
    I'm pretty sure I will enjoy. Just purchased the one in mint conditions.

Thanks David

Drew Wiley

It's a terrible lens. Get rid of it fast and cheap. I'm waiting.

It's a terrible lens. Get rid of it fast and cheap. I'm waiting.
    Ahahah

Will keep you posted Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew Wiley

Went a bit inland today, and the ground fog never cleared up. Beautiful, but glad I did bring an M lens. The b&w sheets can simply be plus developed, but the color negs needed at the contrast they can get.

Went a bit inland today, and the ground fog never cleared up. Beautiful, but glad I did bring an M lens. The b&w sheets can simply be plus developed, but the color negs needed at the contrast they can get.
    Drew, do you think you would obtain a better image with Nikon M 300 than with Nikon W 300 ? guess that in both cases we use a front shade to avoid flare generated in the bellows... I ask about a focal in what we can compare, also guess 5x7 to force the M300 to its limits...

Of course the M series are low weight, (and cheaper to manufacture) and with some limitations that are not important in some situations compared to weight advantage.

Drew Wiley

The M is the only 300 I own. But I do have several 360's which all more compact than general-purpose plasmats and have ample coverage for 8X10. A wonderful 300 in no.1 shutter that will cover 8x10 is the Fuji A. I use the 300M for 4x5 and 6x9 roll film backs. I haven't tried the Fuji 300C, but it might cover 8X10 so-so. The 270 G-Claron will cover.