Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Impressions on Nikkor M 450mm f9

Impressions on Nikkor M 450mm f9

Hello everybody

I have the chance to get a Nikkor 450mm M f9 in mint conditions for my 8x10 work

Just like to hear your impressions about the lens

Will use for landscape mostly

Thanks

Re: Impressions on Nikkor M 450mm f9

It's a great lens. Excellent optically and quite compact for a lens in a Copal 3 shutter. A very good focal length for 8x10 landscape work.

Quote Originally Posted by karl french View Post
    It's a great lens. Excellent optically and quite compact for a lens in a Copal 3 shutter. A very good focal length for 8x10 landscape work.
    Thanks Karl!

I love working with the 240mm on a 4x5” and quite sure this would be a great choice for 8x10

I reckon it has got the same quality as other Nikkor lenses

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What karl french says. Lots of coverage, too.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I use and love mine on 11x14. You will enjoy it.

Pali

Dave Karp

I had one that I used for 4x5. I sold it and purchased a 450mm Fujinon C. It had nothing to do with the quality of the photos. I just did not want to carry a big Copal No. 3 shutter around.

I made some very nice photos with it. They have a very nice quality to them. If I was using it on an 8x10 I would likely still have it.

Best of M 450 is weight, 650grs for 450mm focal and 440mm circle.

It is a highly regarded lens for 8x10 Pros, it is multicoated and the simple design with less groups makes it flare resistant.

Drawback is that it only has 4 elements in 3 groups, tessar design, so it is a simple design that is less refined than a regular plasmat type lens, for example, a plasmat would probably deliver a larger circle, but for 450mm a plasmat would be huge. This is seen in then 300mm focal, for example, comparing Nikkor M 300 vs W 300, just to realize the M meaning.

The 450 focal needs only 52º to cover that 440mm circle, so with only 4 elements necessary performance can be reached, and manufacturing was also cheaper.

So it is a perfectly good lens for 8x10 landscape, if wanting more circle for architecture there is Fujinon CM-W 450 f/8 with 520mm circle, but weight is 1140grs.

The M 450 it is a lens that I was to acquire, I had a good opportunity, finally I judged that having a 360mm I can always crop the 8x10 negative and still having lots of image quality, and first I should deserve a lens like this.

Dave Karp

I think that is they key with this lens. It is smaller than a plasmat 450mm, which makes it more likely to be used. That is especially true for landscape photographers. It's why we 4x5 users love the 300 M so much. The "drawback" you mention is actually in some ways the strength of this lens. The Tessar-type design allows it to be smaller. For me, the design is probably what creates that special quality that I like so much. The Tessar-type lenses deliver images that have a very nice quality or character to them. They are sharp, but have . . . something else. I don't know how to describe it. I find this true whether using a Nikkor M, a Xenar, or a Fujinon L.

Awesome lens. I also use it on my 14x17 camera.

Poor judgement to judge a lens by the number of elements in it's design. What matters is the results of images produced.
    Most every design has trade offs, learning to used a given design's good and bad promotes a symbiotic relationship between lens and expressive image making.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post

Drawback is that it only has 4 elements in 3 groups, tessar design, so it is a simple design that is less refined than a regular plasmat type lens, for example, a plasmat would probably deliver a larger circle, but for 450mm a plasmat would be huge. This is seen in then 300mm focal, for example, comparing Nikkor M 300 vs W 300, just to realize the M meaning.